amd-sco Posts: 94
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Now trending on twitter...https://twitter.com/#!/search/%22UK%20Postal%22
Sour grapes or fair comment?
‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’

Comments

• OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Tweet back & tell whoever started it to go & do one!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    KEEP IT IN THE SPOILER THREAD!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    UK Postal defended well today.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Having said that, their performance wasn't as polished as yesterday, and they don't lead the team comp any more, starting to think yesterday was the exception not the rule, and we haven't seen how they cope with HC climbs. Getting a bit more faith in them to be honest.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Jez mon wrote:
    Having said that, their performance wasn't as polished as yesterday

Did it need to be? They just didn't need to lose any time and not crash. Mission accomplished.
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    I'm no sporting patriot, but seeing a Brit team doing well is great & a big deal for our sport in this country.

We really like to 'build 'em up & then knock 'em down. Sad.
  • esafosfina
    esafosfina Posts: 131
    TommyB61 wrote:
    I'm no sporting patriot, but seeing a Brit team doing well is great & a big deal for our sport in this country.

We really like to 'build 'em up & then knock 'em down. Sad.

Nothing new mate... always been the way... :roll:
  • ddraver
    Witness how everyone is now fawning over Murrey after he's lost....
    - @ddraver
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Everyone loves a gallant loser.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Jez mon wrote:
    Having said that, their performance wasn't as polished as yesterday

Did it need to be? They just didn't need to lose any time and not crash. Mission accomplished.

Exactly with a cherry on top. They are the guvnors. I think their performance has been a kick up the a*se for other teams. See how RSNT came out to play today. Sponsors are probably turning around and saying "why can't you ride like that?"
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • amd-sco
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/tou ... tions.html

Bradley's answer to the comparison
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    But, there's one huge frickin difference between US Postal and Sky.

US Postal took a lot of not particularly well established riders and turned them into a superteam.

The Sky train consists of Mick Rogers (always a decent GC rider, never a winner but always talked abot pre race), EBH, stage race winner and strong all rounder, Richie Porte established as strong young potential GC talent, etc. etc.

Froome is the one who is a bit of a revelation in the last 12 months but many others were brought into Sky to do a job after it was discovered in year one that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Hardly rocket science is it! is it?

Man City won the Premiership this year, now why was that again?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    morstar wrote:
    Man City won the Premiership this year, now why was that again?

David Platt is their assistant coach and he played for Juventus who were accused of doping a few years after he left. Although they were cleared of all charges by CAS, I think we can assume that was some sort of cover up, probaly involving the UCI as an intermediary. So be have a clear link between Man City staff and doping.

Anyone who says it had anything to do with £500m+ in transfer fees and £10m salaries is a fanboy with their head in the sand.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Don't forget Kolo Toure.

Sky also make regular payments to Man City. Doesn't take a genius to figure out why.
  • amd-sco
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Turfle wrote:
    Don't forget Kolo Toure.

Sky also make regular payments to Man City. Doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

I see Festina Girl tweeting this within the next 24 hours.
  • ddraver
    amd-sco wrote:

Thanks - sums up my thoughts very well...
    - @ddraver
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Football doesn't do tests that involve searching for EPO etc also.... appernetly too expensive :roll:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    Impressive as Saturday was we had three riders riding hard on the front for 2km each on what was as steep but fairly short 1st cat climb (plus EBH driving it on the drag approaching the hill). It was nowhere near the USPS days. It will be interesting to see how the average speeds compare on the HC climbs. Yesterday was potentially one of the hardest days to control purely because of the number of climbs. With the attacking starting so early it's no wonder it was just Wiggins and Froome left at the finish and that was still one more than BMC had even though they didn't have to control things. BMC look a bit limited with only TJ looking like staying there at the sharp end (Albasini may be helpful but was obviously in the break all day on Saturday).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross has a point.

As much as it was like USP, and it was, - it was a 6km climb and the longest pull was 3km.

The Alp is more than 3 times the length.
  • Jez mon
    Pross wrote:
    Impressive as Saturday was we had three riders riding hard on the front for 2km each on what was as steep but fairly short 1st cat climb (plus EBH driving it on the drag approaching the hill). It was nowhere near the USPS days. It will be interesting to see how the average speeds compare on the HC climbs. Yesterday was potentially one of the hardest days to control purely because of the number of climbs. With the attacking starting so early it's no wonder it was just Wiggins and Froome left at the finish and that was still one more than BMC had even though they didn't have to control things. BMC look a bit limited with only TJ looking like staying there at the sharp end (Albasini may be helpful but was obviously in the break all day on Saturday).

This is pretty much what I was trying to say. Saturday started to look a bit suspicious. I'm sorry, but that climb was meant to be Wiggins weakness, but his team managed to drop most of his supposed rivals with ease, and then despite being on the front for a good while, Froome was able to launch a rather impressive sprint. However, there seem to be mitigating circumstances for pretty much every eyebrow raising point...
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Sky has a big budget and has bought in some really strong riders. Isn't that why they are strong? Or were Porte, Rogers, EBH complete nobodies before Sky got them? Second point. Wiggins and Froome, Evans, Nibs, they were 6.2-6.4 w per kg on a 16 minute climb 2 days ago..but if it had been over 30 minutes they'd have been down to 6-6.1 w per kg which is credible. 6.2 + is regarded as doped and 6.8 which Ullrich and LA cranked out equals VO 2 max is 96%-100%. Wiggo and Froome would not be able to hang onto Pantani or Armstrong that we saw 12 years ago
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Jez mon wrote:
    Pross wrote:

This is pretty much what I was trying to say. Saturday started to look a bit suspicious. I'm sorry, but that climb was meant to be Wiggins weakness, but his team managed to drop most of his supposed rivals with ease, and then despite being on the front for a good while, Froome was able to launch a rather impressive sprint. However, there seem to be mitigating circumstances for pretty much every eyebrow raising point...

Am I reading this right?

FFS
  • Jez mon
    Meh, on the face of it, a team doing well together, with Froome's rather sudden transformation from fairly average to amazing, is suspicious, as it's cycling, and cycling has a history. That's all I'm saying.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Jez mon wrote:
    Meh, on the face of it, a team doing well together, with Froome's rather sudden transformation from fairly average to amazing, is suspicious, as it's cycling, and cycling has a history. That's all I'm saying.

Who are you to accuse people? What do you know about a pro athletes body and how it responds to training? How can you say what the limits of someone's ability is?

Froome - he's joined the best team there is right now with the best training, and he's excelled after gaining a bit of experience, shock horror. There is no way they would risk anything like that, can you even imagine the damage it would do to one of the worlds biggest company's? Not some two bit watch maker, but one of the worlds largest media companies. Use your head ffs!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    The thing is that so many of us have thought "they wouldn't risk it" in the past and after a while of being proved wrong you become cynical. I used to be in the camp that thought LA wouldn't risk his health just to win a bike race after coming so close to death.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    okgo wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Who are you to accuse people? What do you know about a pro athletes body and how it responds to training? How can you say what the limits of someone's ability is?

Froome - he's joined the best team there is right now with the best training, and he's excelled after gaining a bit of experience, shock horror. There is no way they would risk anything like that, can you even imagine the damage it would do to one of the worlds biggest company's? Not some two bit watch maker, but one of the worlds largest media companies. Use your head ffs!

PLaying Devil's advocate, the other companies in that stable hardly been bastions of probity down the years have they?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Jez mon
    okgo wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Yep, News International would never do anything bad. Ever.

I'm saying that on the surface it could look suspicious, because unfortunately cycling has a history. For what it's worth I don't think there's anything untoward here...
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Jez mon wrote:

I wouldn't say it's sudden, they just seem to have sorted his illness out, add that to a new training regime and diet and that answers your question.
    It amazed me that there wasn't more talk of him being up there at the top, when Ladbrooks gave odds of 33/1 i put £20 on him because if anything happens to Wiggins.......who knows. Looking at him now i'd say that he's a better prospect, it's just a pity he dropped his chain.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    He won't be allowed to win will he, surely?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com