Used bike under £300

Gianluca
Gianluca Posts: 23
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and road bikes' world. I've recently moved to London and due to the expensiveness of the public transports here and the reasonable distance to my work place I was thinking on commuting by bike.
I've read lots of thread about it, but having a really little budget I want to ask for some more advices.

I was thinking on a road bike, not heavier than 11kg. I don't have a particular knowledge about shifts, so I'll be very interested if you want to share your experience with me. I'm checking into eBay for a second hand item.
I have some models in my mind, like:
- Specialized Allez
- Cannondale Caad8

I'm also considering other brands like Carrera and Boardman that lots of people describe as great value for money. Not being so addicted to road bikes magazines, I don't know what models keep an eye on.
I know that the budget that I have is really short, but since now it everything I can reasonably spend on it.
Are brands like Viking and Raleigh as good as Carrera and Boardman?

Thank you for your time,
Gianluca

Comments

• mb5
    mb5 Posts: 19
    You are probably looking at something like the Carrera TDF if you want to stay under £300. I don't really see you getting either of the bikes you mentioned within £300.. a boardman would be pushing it.
  • Gianluca
    I didn't say that I want to use it also as a road bike during my day off work. So I'm looking for something enjoyable also in that side.
    Generally speaking, how much I should spend for a decent second hand (2010/2011) bike with a Compact chainset?
    I suppose the Compact it's at the same time the lightest and cheaper choice on the market, I don't need at any cost a triple if it's more expensive. At the end of the day it's my first road bike, so I hardly believe that I'll extract so much value from the third front gear.
  • WildGooze
    WildGooze Posts: 5
    I was in your situation a few years ago and in the end I got myself a second hand cannondale as my first road bike which I've been very happy with so far.

I've got to say that around my area I was fairly limited in what I could get so couldn't be too choosey, in the end I had to spend a little bit over £300 for mine.

I've found bike soup a good website (http://www.bikesoup.co.uk) for second hand bikes.
  • Gianluca
    Thank you for the advices WildGooze.
    After have followed several transactions through eBay I'm thinking on save more money and increase my budget since for less than £300 is quite impossible to buy a recent Allez (2010/2011) or similar bike in decent conditions. Another major problem is that quite every good deal is far away from London. Don't possessing a car I'm particularly sensitive to this point.

I'm guessing if is still worth watching on the second hand market. A Specialized Allez cost £575 brand new. Perhaps for the same price I can find a second hand Allez Sport but I have to add 2 train tickets, one day lost on the journey to collect the bike and the risk of minor problems given the used status on the final bill.
    What's your opinion?
  • WildGooze
    WildGooze Posts: 5
    It'll be fairly difficult to buy second hand if you've got your heart set on a particular make/model. Might be better to have a look on what's on the market and judge whether you like like the spec for the money.

Top priority should be the bike size as this will make a big difference if you're planning on a lot of riding. This will make a big difference in comfort.

If you're worried about concerned about buying something with possible problems, then it maybe worth trying your LBSs. They should give all their second hand bikes check over before selling, you probably have no comeback to independent sellers on ebay if you do come across problems.
  • Gianluca
    I've recently moved to London (Notting Hill area), so except from Evans Cycles I don't know LBS. I've already asked them if they sell second hand road bikes, but the answer was negative unfortunately. The guy advised me to keep an eye on eBay but all the deals are far away from London.
    I'm going to open a specific thread in the 'Road Bike' section for collect some names of LBS nearby.

I understand your point of view, and I completely agree with you. Choose a model now isn't the best thing to do.
    I'm looking to other models too, logically on the same price range. I started by this article, and shorted the list on the very best 4 models: Giant Defy 3, Cannondale Caad8, Jamis Ventura and Specialized Allez, which figure out to be the best bikes on the market under $1000. I'm a newbie so I don't know if there are other models which worth to be considered.

I'll visit some local shops in the next few days, and speaking with a couple of sales assistants I hope to clear my mind about what I can buy with my actual budget or lightly rising it up.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    How far are you going to commute?

I ride 12-13 miles each way and have the Cannondale which I love. But for 5 miles or less I'd forget blowing the budget and either get a Carrera TDF (loads of them on Ebay) or a Specialized Sirrus (all the people I overtake when I get closer in to town can't be wrong).
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    You could get a BTwin Triban 3 for new at 299 from Decathlon. Reviews I've seen are good, carbon fork for comfort, alloy frame. It's not got amazing components but seemingly nice bikes for the cash.
  • I would agree with the decathlon BTwin Triban 3 recommendation for your £300 budget. A friend at work bought one after having had a Specialized Allez and a Raleigh Team Sprint stolen within 6 months!

For the money it has a decent set of budget components, Italian built alu frame and a carbon fork. Second hand bike buying in London can also be a bit of a minefield - there are a lot of stolen bikes out there.....
  • lancj1
    lancj1 Posts: 38
    Get the Triban 3, or at least consider it. I was in the same position as you and picked one up at the start of July, first road bike - well since the early 80's anyway. Its a lovely bike to ride, and in my opinion well worth hanging on to and upgrading in the future. Its also got the holes for a rack/mudguards etc
    Btwin Triban 3
    Giant Boulder '08
    Raleigh Jackal MTB '95 - Gas Pipe Commuter
  • Thank you guys for all the tips.
    I bought a Btwin Triban 3, and I'm fully satisfied with it!