Forum home Road cycling forum Amateur race

Mallory Park race next week

drudru Posts: 1,341
edited July 2012 in Amateur race
Hi people,

I happen to be staying overnight in Leicester next week and have noticed that there is a 4th cat race on at Mallory park.

Do I presume that this race is around the motor racing circuit?

If so, is it using the full circuit - vaguely know it from watching motor cycling on the tv as a kid - big loop around a lake and then up a hill to a hairpin.

Any tips from people who have ridden there before (or even people who will be racing next thursday?)

Ta,

Dru

Posts

  • Mike39496Mike39496 Posts: 414
    dru wrote:
    Hi people,

    I happen to be staying overnight in Leicester next week and have noticed that there is a 4th cat race on at Mallory park.

    Do I presume that this race is around the motor racing circuit?

    If so, is it using the full circuit - vaguely know it from watching motor cycling on the tv as a kid - big loop around a lake and then up a hill to a hairpin.

    Any tips from people who have ridden there before (or even people who will be racing next thursday?)

    Ta,

    Dru

    This is the lap here: http://app.strava.com/segments/910257 so pretty much what you remember.

    I'm going down for a bike fit at Cadence Sport on that day so i'm going to head over afterwards as i'm about halfway there! I'll be the guy getting dropped on the second lap :oops: (I did a 2/3/4 race as my first one and it was horrific so hopefully this should be a bit tamer). Should be good fun if the weather holds out though!
  • esafosfinaesafosfina Posts: 131
    It's a decent little circuit, wide, good surface, and a tiny little 'berg' up to the line. Usually quite fast racing, and it can get windy so be prepared for some echelons. No tips really, it's a case of stay near the front and don't overgear for the kick to the line. Good luck...
  • HerbsmanHerbsman Posts: 2,029
    Lovely smooth surface, and despite the downhill bit not being steep, you can easily exceed 40mph on it without pedaling...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • drudru Posts: 1,341
    thanks people.

    Presumeably there will be a chance to ride a lap before hand for warm up - or is it too long to do that on?
  • MikeWWMikeWW Posts: 723
    You will get chance to do a warm up lap
    The 4th only race on a Thursday is a good one and a good chance to bag some points.
    Layout and direction can change

    I have done it clockwise and anti-clockwise and with and without chicanes on a Thursday night but rides well whichever way

    Likely to be a bunch finish but sometimes get a couple of stronger riders so keep an eye on any breaks they make

    Good luck
  • HerbsmanHerbsman Posts: 2,029
    It's only about 1 mile, you'll get chance to do a few laps
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • drudru Posts: 1,341
    thanks again people - just need to hope the weather is 'ok'

    and Mike - if your fit goes well at Cadence and you manage to come and race - come say hi - I will be in my Ajax gear :)
  • Mike39496Mike39496 Posts: 414
    dru wrote:
    thanks again people - just need to hope the weather is 'ok'

    and Mike - if your fit goes well at Cadence and you manage to come and race - come say hi - I will be in my Ajax gear :)

    I'll definitely be there, planned a nice day out around the fit then the race. I'll be riding an overly co-ordinated Trek 1.2 in red and black in non-club kit (still waiting for it to arrive!) and I look about 18 (i'm 21) so if you do spot me say hi, I may not be observant enough to notice who you are! If I don't see you good luck for the race!

    p.s Weather forecast seems good on the met office at the moment but we all know how often the weather is right.
  • HerbsmanHerbsman Posts: 2,029
    When I had a bike fit with Adrian he told me to take it easy for a few days to give my body chance to get used to the new position. Might not be the best idea to race straight after.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Mike39496Mike39496 Posts: 414
    Herbsman wrote:
    When I had a bike fit with Adrian he told me to take it easy for a few days to give my body chance to get used to the new position. Might not be the best idea to race straight after.

    I'm going to give it a go, gives me a chance to try it out and at the end of the day the only real danger is getting dropped.

    Does anyone know where the race meets at mallory? Is it on the car park by the ferrari and lotus stands? Cheers

    Edit: It is. Came 10th!
  • drudru Posts: 1,341
    Thanks guys - a good night out racing in tough windy and wet conditions.

    Nice to meet you Mike, hope the bike fit and North Staff hills will help your training and well done on your first points.

    Hope the people who went down in the crash are ok - didn't see it only heard it as I was keen to stay away from danger as people where swinging down to the right and hitting the headwind and slowing up.

    Didn't want to lead out the sprint to the line - particularly with the hill on the finish, but pleased that I did not completely die and managed to bag a couple of points for an 8th.
Sign In or Register to comment.