New Bike?

canaryv
canaryv Posts: 37
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Looking to upgrade my Trek 1.9 which is Aluminium, will I really notice the difference if I go to Full Carbon? If so, what are views on Focus Cayo 3.0 (105), which seems great for value (and looks great) vs Boardman Team Carbon, which gets really good write ups? I've got £1200-1500 max to spend. Any help/opinions appreciated. Thanks all.

Comments

• CrouchingPig
    CrouchingPig Posts: 112
    Ive just bought a Cannondale Supersix 105 to replace my Specialized Allez 16.

The better groupset is noticable straight away, and my god the weight difference is amazing,
    I recieved the bike yesterday and I've done 2 x short 10 mile hacks on it, average 17mph ish.

The Team Carbon you mention is on sale in Halfords atm @ £1139 iirc? - Looks a nice bike, and as you say, well reviewed.
    I've not really looked at the Focus Cayo's.
    If you are interested, Westbrook cycles are selling the Cannondale Supersix I have got @ £1,500 down from £2,000 at the moment! which seemed too good of a deal for me to pass on! :)

good luck.
    Norco Sight C7.2
    Giant Defy 1 Disc
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    +1 on the Supersix.

I definitely notice the difference between my Pro-Lite and my old Trek 1500. It's less to do with the carbon (albeit the frame is noticeably stiffer) and more to do with the smoothness of the upgraded drive train and the fact that it's 2kgs lighter.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Apart from being lighter, I don't think you'll notice a massive difference in riding performance. Probably better off getting better wheels for the Trek.
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Apart from being lighter, I don't think you'll notice a massive difference in riding performance. Probably better off getting better wheels for the Trek.

^this. I was recently riding round on a bike 3 times the price of my normal ride and I wasn't any faster. The better specced drive train was actually worse as it was badly adjusted proving any drive train can be rubbish if not adjusted correctly.

The frame was really good though - it was very stiff while also taking all the buzz out of the road. I think on my recent experiance I'd go for the best frame over better components.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    If you liked your Trek why not look at the 3.1 Madone. Just won last months bike test in C+.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4