First 'Proper' Bike

Ewoolmer
Ewoolmer Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi All,

Looking to buy my first proper road bike tomorrow.
Going to be using it 3 or 4 times a week for 1-2 hour rides at a time and sometimes a slightly longer ride.
http://www.bianchi.com/Uk/Bikes/Bikes_D ... ster=60657
This is the bike I'm looking at purchasing at £950, and I can't really afford to spend any more.
The local store pure motion cycles is where I'm looking to purchase from, they said they would take my measurements etc to make sure the size of the bike, handlebar height etc was adjusted for my body.
Wondered if anyone with a bit more knowledge had any opinions on this bike?
Also if it's worth trying to bargain or get some sort of deal when purchasing - I was thinking of asking for a run through of how to keep a bike in good condition from maintaining the wheels, frame and gears etc.
Lastly is there any kit/equipment that is pivotal for maintaining a bike toolwise that I will need to purchase?

Thanks x

Comments

• alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Does it have to be a new bike? Someone mentioned a couple of websites for secndhand bikes which would probably allow you to buy a bike that started life twice your current budget.

Sorry, I don't know Bianchi bikes well enough to comment however they have a mighy fine reputation.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • Ewoolmer
    Ewoolmer Posts: 3
    It doesn't have to be, it is just that a couple of people I have spoken too mentioned it was key to get the right size bike, and one that suits you as an individual. Since it is going to be my first road bike I was a little put off purchasing online so I try the bike first and make sure it fits and feels comfortable.
  • dude47
    dude47 Posts: 1
    Hi,

your plan to take advice from your local bike store is a good one. I found that quite often they can give you a pretty good deal, got my new bike overall cheaper at my local dealer compared to the cheapest online store - he gave a good discount on shoes and pedals.
    You might want to look into extra tubes, a small pump you can take with you and a multi-tool.
    There are verymgood videoa on bike maint. on bikeradar.com, worthwhile the time to watch.

Good luck with your new bike and drive safe!

Jens
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Ewoolmer wrote:
    It doesn't have to be, it is just that a couple of people I have spoken too mentioned it was key to get the right size bike, and one that suits you as an individual. Since it is going to be my first road bike I was a little put off purchasing online so I try the bike first and make sure it fits and feels comfortable.
    I would agree with you and go to the bike shop and buy new rather than try and find a second hand one that fits you on the web. The bike looks good and if it feels right for you go for it. Depending on whether you are going to be cycling in a hilly area, I would maybe consider an 11-28 sprocket at the back rather than a 12-25 that comes with that bike. The reason is the 28 tooth low gear at the back will make a big difference on steep hills if you are a beginner.

Also, make sure the bars are not too low compared to saddle. I bought a new Cube bike last year with slightly more relaxed geometry and I still had to flip the stem to make the bars higher and more comfortable, at the expense of being less aerodynamic. However I am in my 50s - you may be a lot younger and can cope with lower bars.