Strava Etiquette

jmcc500
jmcc500 Posts: 33
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Had a storming ride in to work this morning, assisted by slipstreaming a Tesco delivery truck for the majority of one segment. This pushed me up to 2nd on the KoM, despite freewheeling a lot of the way. Should I listen to my conscience and pull my time (no idea how to do this), or just revel in having my name near the top of the list for a change?

Or do I apply rule #5 and attempt to better the time sans-assistance? (Unlikely!)

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I think you should delete this post and forget you ever made it.
  • jmcc500
    jmcc500 Posts: 33
    Really? Was just interested to know if there was a consensus on what should be entered and what should be pulled - slipstreaming seems like cheating, but wind assistance seems only about half as bad (to me), despite significantly affecting times.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    ;)

Well some of my PR's were achieved with a massive tailwind. I don't really think it matters that much!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Slipstreaming is allowed. Holding on to a car isn't.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I suspect more than a few KOMs on Strava were achieved with some external assistance.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I'm of the opinion you use what's available to you. If you want well defined rules do a TT :)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I picked up joint 6th (of 1000!) on Millbank south yesterday on the way home. Noticed a people carrier was crowding me slightly on the roundabout so eased off, dropped in behind and took a tow up to about 33 then held it until I had to slow for the lights. Freely admit I'd not have got anywhere close unassisted.
    All the popular segment KOMs will include favourable conditions. The number of times [I would like to think] I would have picked up a good time but for a red light, or a car pulling out, or a bus slowing etc means I'm not fussed about taking a bit of help when it comes.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    @dhope, did wonder, was a great time esp given the unfavourable wind. Did both my Millbank ones drafting-unassisted, but with reasonable (hurricane?) tailwinds :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    My Millbank southbound KOM (don't know if I'm still KOM - and I still have to settle this one with Keyser!) was neither draft nor tailwind assisted. However, it was on the one day of the year that the westerly Millbank gale had abated!
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    dhope wrote:
    All the popular segment KOMs will include favourable conditions.

This, basically.

One of the segments where I (briefly) held KOM is on a lot of people's commutes. My KOM time was set as a balls-out, bury-yourself sprint, and I was properly pleased with it.

Then, a few months later, I equalled that time casually riding home in street clothes without even trying, with the aid of a huge tailwind (one of those days with strong winds weather warnings).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My first KoM was set on a SS and was improved on the same bike by tucking in behind a bus at the lights at the start of the segment. Sadly I've been de-throned, wether this was by fair means is unknown.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I worked so hard getting a KoM over a 1.1 mile segment (with tailwind assistance) I averaged a tidy speed and took it down out of 77 riders. Two weeks after getting the KoM, there was a road race held over this segment and the riders rose to over 200! I was de-throned on the basis that these riders were a peleton of some sort :p
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    You mean it's all a sham? :shock: You lot are as bad as Lance!
  • jds_1981
    I don't like the idea of peletons doing it. Should be lone gun :)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    There is one where I was joint kom that I won't even attempt if there is a side/head wind as it's quite open and knocks a few mph off my top end
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Take every advantage you can, I'm sure others do. I had a kom for a short while achieved on an MTB with fat tyres, and an almighty tailwind. Thankfully the wind also kept the dog walkers away.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I was tempted to remove one of my KOM times because the average speed is far higher than I actually achieved so I figured there was a glitch, but then I looked at the speed graph.

The average speed on the leaderboard says I did 29.8 yet the speed graph shows a highest of 26.4 and lowest of 22.5 (which seems pretty accurate).

I looked at the other top times and they're similar - the 'average' speed is higher than anything actually attained.

Does anyone know why this is? It is just because it's such a short segment (0.1m) so it throws out the calculations?
  • jds_1981
    It seems to be bad interpolation on devices that don't record frequently (iPhone seems worst, then android devices.) Short sections & sections with lots of tall buildings around often aren't that accurate.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You mean it's all a sham? :shock: You lot are as bad as Lance!

Hey now come on, Lance owns the top three TdF average speeds for GC winners. He's as clean as a whistle.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Who really gives a sh1t. Seriously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Leave it. Strava is purely a measure of how lucky you were with lights, tailwinds and drafting.

If someone beats you, take your Strava device for a car drive along the same route.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Greg66 wrote:
    Leave it. Strava is purely a measure of how lucky you were with lights, tailwinds and drafting.
    But if everyone is playing by the same rules then it's all equal again.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Greg66 wrote:
    If someone beats you, take your Strava device for a car drive along the same route.

Are you lonely :?:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    But this its just it, strava times are not gained on anywhere near an equal basis. If I smashed it along embankment with a trail wind on my best bike on a weekend when there's no other traffic, rlj-img all the way I'm sure i'd do way better than if I commuted along there with my loaded rucksack and heavy bag with all the traffic.... It's all just a but of a laugh and luck of the draw
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    But this its just it, strava times are not gained on anywhere near an equal basis. If I smashed it along embankment with a trail wind on my best bike on a weekend when there's no other traffic, rlj-img all the way I'm sure i'd do way better than if I commuted along there with my loaded rucksack and heavy bag with all the traffic.... It's all just a but of a laugh and luck of the draw
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yup.

Follow enough segments regularly and you'll get an idea of who's fast and who's not anyway.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Its virtual willy waving :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    For most commute segments it is a bit pointless as they're either really short (on two separate segments, I share the KOM with five others!) or so long they cover multiple sets of lights and it's 90% luck.

Great tool for weekend rides over longer distances on quiet roads though. I've been un-scalped on the commute for years but I had no idea if I was really quick or not until I got strava. Having a bash at those segments is the only thing that motivates to get out on a weekend ride.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Are you lonely :?:
    :lol:
    Grab your coat Greg, you've pulled!