How long should a chain last?

2»

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    gah

my chain started to slip last night, i hope its just misaligned if its not its new things for me

ive only done 1700 miles so far on it
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • iclestu wrote:
    ok confused.com here!!, i am looking at changing my chain as it now on/past 100% mark on the guage, i have a shimano 105 group set (triple) 10 speed, and not sure which chain to go for the 5600 or 5701 or another brand, also would i have to do anything apart from fettling and changing the chain rings to convert to a double?

I am no expert - far from it - but would you not need another left shifter too? (there certainly seems to be a triples distinction when buying them)

yeah that was what i wasnt sure about, thought you might just be able to tweak the cable a bit to get it to work, thats why i will not be doing the cowboy approach but to get my LBS to have a go.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    My Brompton seems to eat chains and rear sprockets. I don't know how many miles I do but I guess it's supposed to be done with the big front ring and small back ring.

But changing the sprocket isn't too tricky once you know how. Although the spacers are a bit fiddly to figure out - perhaps this is where I'm going wrong.

If the spacers are not installed correctly, then the sprocket will not be exactly in line wit the chain ring - therefore the chain will be bending (perpendicular to the way it's supposed to bend) as it runs on and off the chain ring and sprocket. This would definitely speed up the rate of wear.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    iclestu wrote:
    I am no expert - far from it - but would you not need another left shifter too? (there certainly seems to be a triples distinction when buying them)
    Some 105 left shifters support both. Depends on the model number.

Mike
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 57
    aclivity wrote:
    The towpath gets a bit (a lot) muddy, and I don't always wipe mud off immediately. In fact I don't ever wipe mud off immediately. Does that sound like enough hardship for a chain to cause it to break?

I've only had one chain snap on me but that was enough. Likewise I spend time on fine gravel tracks, I have learnt they do a lot of damage to my chain and cogs when the grit sticks to the grease or oil on the chain. And at that point I hand over to the numerous threads that already discuss chain cleaning to the hilt. I think 800 miles for your chain is more unlucky than a problem.

All that 'cleaning the chain thoroughly' stuff doesn't suit me, a monthly jet wash at the garage is all my bike gets despite daily use all year round on track mud and roads.

So I change the chain every 3 months regardless, which for me is over the 1000 mile mark, but the only thing I do in between is regularly use dry lube (PTFE type) whatever the weather and I find that much less grit sticks in the chain and gear mech. If I hear a grinding sound or it has been deep mud I will give it a wash in the river on the way home.

I don't mind the cost and pay for a premium one at the LBS, I hate a slipped gear or chain, I've had a bad accident years ago because of a slipped sturmey archer hub and subsequently I can't pedal hard confidently without knowing my chain and gears are robust.
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich