Creaking under Pressure

charliew87
charliew87 Posts: 371
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Not me. My bike.

A couple of weeks ago I put some welly in on the flat, got out of the saddle and went for it a la Cavendish, flying along and then the chain snapped clean in half. Bit annoying. But it happens (apparently.)

Got a new chain, had it fitted/got shown how to do it at a shop. Now every time I stand up out the saddle there is a horrible creaking noise as if something is about to break, the chain I presume. There are no problems at all when I'm seated, it's just when im in the big gears going at 25-30mph or so and standing up.

Any ideas what might need looking at? It had a full service about a month ago, and I've lubed up everything which looks like it might need some.
Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0

Comments

• cryocon
    cryocon Posts: 46
    In the service did they remove and clean the BB? I had an annoying clicking/creaking, thought it was the pedals but got round to removing BB and cleaning it. Feels like a new bike now and no creaking. :D
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    cryocon wrote:
    In the service did they remove and clean the BB? I had an annoying clicking/creaking, thought it was the pedals but got round to removing BB and cleaning it. Feels like a new bike now and no creaking. :D

Just discovered this via google, it feels like its coming from the pedals so I'll try the below first, and if that doesn't work then I'll attack the bearings.

Creaks
    The common culprit here is clipless pedals and cleats.
    Solution: Make sure the cleats are tight and lubricate the cleat mating surfaces with wax, spray lube, Armor All or some other friction reducer. You may need to experiment to determine what works best for your particular brand and model of clipless pedals.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Some other creaks that can appear under load:

Front/rear skewer either too tight or too loose.
    Headset area needs regreased.
    Carbon spacers creaking - add a little grease around the edges.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    charliew87 wrote:
    Now every time I stand up in the saddle there is a horrible creaking noise
    Don't stand on the saddle - stand on the pedals ...

Such basic errors! :mrgreen:
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    I had this problem and it turned out to be the bottom bracket. Try tightening it a bit more and if that doesn't work you may need a new one. (I needed a new one)