New road bike,but 650b wheels??

BOYDIE
BOYDIE Posts: 528
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all I have just received my new Triban 3 road bike, its a 51cm, my last road bike was a 52 and fitted great, the triban was only available in a 51 or jump up to a 54, so I plumped for a 51 as it felt great in the shop very close to the 52 I had before. But on getting home I realised that the wheels are a 650b rather than a 700c, phoned Decathlon and they said it was so you could get the right fit with out geometry problems and toe over lap.

Will I notice any difference? Apart from my riding buddies taking the P for riding a kids bike?

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    650B tyres do not make it a kids' bike.

Not typical for road either. Kind of odd. tyre selection will be a bit more limited, but more companies are making 650B these days. I'm not familiar withe the geometry of that bike but with 650B tyres you should not have tyre overlap.

Are you happy with the bike otherwise?
  • BOYDIE
    Im going back to the shop to try the 54, I am 5ft 6" so Ill see what its like, I think its in the old head that the wheels are smaller, would you notice it say if my bike was sat next to a 700c bike? Will I be slower?
  • I reckon at 5'6" a 54 will be to big for you . I would have a 54 and i'm 5'10"
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    i ride a 54 or medium framed scott s50 and im 5 11 so id stick with it or change bikes
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I'm 5'6" and ride a 50cm ... A 54cm would surely be clutching at a wholebag of straws ...

Why does the bike have 650 wheels? In my (well my gf's) experience you need to go to 47cm before 650's come into play ...

What bike are you buying? And how much you paying? ... Surely you can get something decent in a sensible size for £500 ...
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    You seemed to be happy with it until you realised the wheels were a different size.
    Now that you have it, why don't you rid eit and see how it feels,if it feels good than that's all that matters surely.(apologies for calling you Shirley :D )
  • BOYDIE
    Hi again,
    Looking at the sizing guide the 54 is recommended measures 53 c2c,my last bike was an allez with a 52.5 tt, going out and looking at the the bike its tiny, my friend has a raleigh airlit 51cm with 700c wheels and it makes it look small.
    Talking to the guy today he tells me that the bikes size up small. Ill throw a leg over it on Saturday and make my mind up.
  • BOYDIE
    http://www.decathlon.fr/ecfr/m/zip/3758 ... route.html

Link to sizes/height, 5'6" is 169cm approx.