giant glory 1

down_hill_26
down_hill_26 Posts: 7
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
hope this is in the right place! looking to buy a giant glory 1 2012 model, anyone got this bike and had any trouble or teething problems? also anyone had problems claiming on warranty for items purchased from CRC?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, no, N/A, N/A, no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hmmm, very helpful!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've heard about glorys snapping... though all the ones my friends have have been fine.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • i was under the impression the frame has a lifetime warranty? i know the kona operator does for deffinate.
  • cooldad
    hmmm, very helpful!
    You asked five questions, I answered all of them.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • fair comment.
  • cooldad
    I can only comment on CRC really - their returns policy, service etc is excellent, and I can't remember any threads complaining about them.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Unless you know of a shop which has one in stock forget it. Giant sold out of Glory's back in April.
    I know a couple people who had issues with Glory frames cracking where the seat tube meets the top tube. If you get a bad set the 888 forks can be unreliable. Cable routing is terrible (I had a Reign X which has the same routing) and the Bearings on 2011 / 2012 frames seem to be made of cheese, my Reign X bearings lasted 3 months and friends with 2011 Glory's have had to replace bearings in less than 6 months. Head angle is very steep by modern standards, 65.5 degrees compared to 63(ish) degrees on the Scalp, Summum & Demo.
    I wouldn't buy one, there are much better bikes for the price. The only people I know who are getting 2013 Glory's are either sponsored riders or racers who buy at trade prices.
    Before buying my Scalp I tried a Glory, Demo, Scalp, Aurum & 224 and it was a tough choice between the Demo, Aurum & Scalp but the Glory & 224 didn't even come close.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Don't go thinking the lifetime warranty covers the frame FOREVER either. Most companies that advertise having this policy (very few now) will normally cover it for 6-8 years
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    To be fair, 6-8 years is a long life for a downhill bike!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5