Cut leg

lucasf09
lucasf09 Posts: 160
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hey,

Not sure if this should be here or in training (or just another part of the forum, so please forgive me and advice if I have miss posted)

I was doing a 24 hr pedal car race this weekend, and Karma didn't like my frolicking with 4 wheels. At 3:30 am, with little sleep I set out to do a stint, all was going well for around 15, when on a corner, my foot slipped off the pedal (again Karma's punishment for not wearing cleats), and hit the floor, leg buckled under the car, and quite amazingly I managed to run over myself. Needless to say I overshot the corner, and my leg and foot did 90% of the breaking of the car. After adrenalin pumped untangling and getting to the pits to swap riders, I was taken to A&E, and now proudly have 3 piercings on my lower left shin (though the attached string will be removed next week hopefully).

Now, my problem is that I normally do just under 30m a day commuting, and when I can I try to go out on weekends as well. It being Thursday and not having spun a pedal or done any form of exercise other than limping up and down the stairs since 3:45 am on Sunday, I am starting to get cabin fever. Would it be too early to test the abilities of a 3 bits of string holding my leg together? I know I won't be going 100% for a few weeks yet, but even being able to get out for one leg of the commute and getting picked up or anything will help, but worried to do more bad than good.

Has anyone got any recommendation on best way forwards?

Thanks

P.S: pedal cars are fun, so Karma, we shall meet again at the end of July.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    lucasf09 wrote:

Yes, speak to a professional. Good luck with your recovery.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Three stitches ?

How many did our Dutch pal get in the tour last year and started the next day - 45 wasn't it ?

So I think you'll be ok with three stitches ?

(apologies if I've read this wrong)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    lucasf09 wrote:
    Hey,

Not sure if this should be here or in training (or just another part of the forum, so please forgive me and advice if I have miss posted)

I was doing a 24 hr pedal car race this weekend, and Karma didn't like my frolicking with 4 wheels. At 3:30 am, with little sleep I set out to do a stint, all was going well for around 15, when on a corner, my foot slipped off the pedal (again Karma's punishment for not wearing cleats), and hit the floor, leg buckled under the car, and quite amazingly I managed to run over myself. Needless to say I overshot the corner, and my leg and foot did 90% of the breaking of the car. After adrenalin pumped untangling and getting to the pits to swap riders, I was taken to A&E, and now proudly have 3 piercings on my lower left shin (though the attached string will be removed next week hopefully).

Now, my problem is that I normally do just under 30m a day commuting, and when I can I try to go out on weekends as well. It being Thursday and not having spun a pedal or done any form of exercise other than limping up and down the stairs since 3:45 am on Sunday, I am starting to get cabin fever. Would it be too early to test the abilities of a 3 bits of string holding my leg together? I know I won't be going 100% for a few weeks yet, but even being able to get out for one leg of the commute and getting picked up or anything will help, but worried to do more bad than good.

Thanks

Pedal car FFS ? Whats yer name, Noddy ?
  • lucasf09
    I would seek professional advice, but already been to GP's and they were fairly useless. I was wondering if anyone on the forum had had a similar injury, to be able to judge from their experience.
    DMC: I do not understand why you are so closed minded and aggressive, but I suggest either you're not cycling enough due to a broken wrist, further increasing your frustration.
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    I'm not a doctor, but thats a hilarious story.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • lucasf09
    Cougie, sorry only just noticed your post (don't ask why, long week, brain is somewhere else). Yes I was thinking of our Dutch pal, but I am also aware that his medical costs for that one incident were probably higher than the Horton's Hospital yearly budget. And he probably rode with painkillers than are only safe under constant medical supervision. Also the fact that it was only 3 stitches, but the WHOLE leg hurts makes me wonder whether braking the car with my leg under it in an awkward position to say the least, didn't do more damage than what can be seen superficially.

Charlie, yes, it is a funny story, and I can laugh at it, simply because I was running on adrenalin so much that I barely felt it. Ask the rest of the team (or the ones that were awake) I got out of the car expecting to put a band aid on it and carry on going. I was only when adrenalin wore off and the leg got cold that I stopped having the ability to walk properly.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    lucasf09 wrote:
    British Pedal Car GP?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    lucasf09 wrote:
    I would seek professional advice, but already been to GP's and they were fairly useless. I was wondering if anyone on the forum had had a similar injury, to be able to judge from their experience.
    DMC: I do not understand why you are so closed minded and aggressive, but I suggest either you're not cycling enough due to a broken wrist, further increasing your frustration.

Sorry mate, post was firmly tongue in cheek. :oops:
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    When my knees were injured in an accident earlier in the year, I decided to just try it, and go out for an easy spin. If cycling hurt more, I could come home, if it didn't, I could carry on cycling. That worked for me.
  • lucasf09
    It was for the British pedal car championship, not sure if its the gp or not. A mate just said "you will save my life if you do this as I need people in the team." And I was crazy enough to say yes.
    Turns out it was fun.