Bike Reliability in Sportives

Der Kaiser
Der Kaiser Posts: 172
Whilst doing sportives I notice there appears to be a number of people with mechanical failures, punctures.

Have I been lucky so far to not have had any problems during a sportive or is it that my bike (Ridgeback Voyage) is designed for distance rather than out and out speed?

What are other peoples views?

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    All bikes can handle the distance of any length sportive, the difference is likely to be how people maintain their bikes, rather than the bike itself.

Punctures can happen to anyone, though use light tyres and the likelyhood is you will suffer more.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I've been suprised a few times recently to hear what are quite expensive bikes sounding like a bag of spanners. I'm not the most meticulous person regarding maintenence by any means by some people must just prefer to keep riding until something fails completely.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    The state people often keep their rather expensive bikes is shocking, that combined with the general tendency to underengineer every part common in the industry and there's your answer
    left the forum March 2023
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    I thought that maintenance would be the key to this.

When I was riding on Sunday in the Shropshire Hills Sportive I was surprised at the noises coming from some bikes.

I rode most of the way with a guy whose chain was catching on the front derailleur in most of the high gears.

I think it's strange that many have expensive bikes but don't take the time to get them serviced. I clean and oil mine usually once a fortnight minimum.

As for punctures I don't ride with slick tyres. It may make me a bit slower but they last a whole lot longer :)
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    The state people often keep their rather expensive bikes is shocking

does sadly sometimes seem that way, squeaking chains thro` no lube is quite common, inability to mend punctures is something else I`ve seen.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    I've been suprised a few times recently to hear what are quite expensive bikes sounding like a bag of spanners. I'm not the most meticulous person regarding maintenence by any means by some people must just prefer to keep riding until something fails completely.

I don't know if it is an expensive bike thing but I came across a guy in all the gear with a Pinarello in tears by the roadside once day. "me bikes broken, me bikes broken" he told me. I took a look and the chain had come off! Pushed the front mech over to the big cog and turned the pedals and voila! Broken bike fixed.

I should have offered to swap it with my old bike but it was too small.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    I was amazed the other week non the Dragon Ride at the number of folks doing it who had rusty/unoiled chains. Sounded almost as painful as when my chain snapped on one of the hills before the first feed stop. Thankfully I was carrying a couple of powerlocks!
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    Dodgerdog wrote:
    I was amazed the other week non the Dragon Ride at the number of folks doing it who had rusty/unoiled chains. Sounded almost as painful as when my chain snapped on one of the hills before the first feed stop. Thankfully I was carrying a couple of powerlocks![/quote

Goodness knows what a 'power-locked chain' sounds and runs like?? :wink:
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Der Kaiser wrote:
    I rode most of the way with a guy whose chain was catching on the front derailleur in most of the high gears.

I wasn't that man but I did ride the Virgin Money Cyclone is a similar condition. I'm quite new to bike maintenance and was convinced it was my pedals making the racket. I re-lubed them the night before the event but was puzzled when I found that hadn't cured it. The mechanic on the start line put me straight and I honestly would never have guessed that was the cause. I wasn't even aware a chain could end up doing this.

I've been riding for about 2 years and I can fix one or two things that go wrong, but not much. I'm sure there are other riders on sportives with less skills than me who don't even know there's a problem, or have no idea how to fix it anyway and assume that bikes do that or theirs is just a bit crap in some way.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    jhop wrote:
    Dodgerdog wrote:
    I was amazed the other week non the Dragon Ride at the number of folks doing it who had rusty/unoiled chains. Sounded almost as painful as when my chain snapped on one of the hills before the first feed stop. Thankfully I was carrying a couple of powerlocks![/quote

Goodness knows what a 'power-locked chain' sounds and runs like?? :wink:

I would guess that what Dodgerdog means are chain joining links. Some manufacturers call them "power links".

If a 10 speed chain breaks a chain tool isn't usually enough to fix it. 10 speed chains usually are designed in such a way that they cannot be rejoined with only a tool, like older chains can. So if the chain snaps the way to fix it is to clean up any broken links with a chain tool and then rejoin the ends with a chain joining link

As for the general purpose of this thread, I am as guilty as the next guy of not maintaining my bike, as this blog entry explains
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    You don't say...... :wink:
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    A horror story for you......
    Over winter, i saw a guy pushing his bike, chain broke, i stopped and offered to re join his - 10sp -chain for him, just to get him home, no joining link, just removed the broken link and pushed through the original rivet, advised him to ride easy and avoid too many gear changes.......
    a few months later, saw the same guy, same bike, at a local race, i joked and said "I see you ve got a new chain etc" he replied blankly " No, its been fine ever since you fixed it and i'm getting a new bike soon, so didnt bother"
    I made sure i stayed in front of him for the entire race :)
  • In my last sportive, I felt sorry for a guy who over-shifted straight into his rear wheel and ripped his rear mech off. Fortunately he came to a safe stop but I couldn't help thinking that more careful preparation would have saved him a trip in the broom wagon.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)