Northwave Shoe Stretch?

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,660
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi Boys

Just got me some new Northwave shoes. I tried some different models on in the shop and felt that size 44 was better for me wheras I'm usually a 45. Now I ve got them, they feel pretty snug - not exactly uncomforatble but tight. But, all the insole rises and bumps are in the right place and stuff and the straps are sort of in the middle.

Now I remember my MTB SIDI's felt the same straigt outof the box but loosened up and moulded quite a bit (especially after a drenching or two). Will this happen with the Northwaves? If so, i think I ve got the right size but as is, they re too small....

Thanks
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I've had two pair of Vertigo SBS' back to back and they do loosen up but admittedly they are a great fit for me, out of the box. Mine are a 45. My rationale is that I still wear the older pair and they do feel noticeably looser/less snug than the new pair I've only had a few months.

I did try a pair of Typhoon SBS' but the 44 was tight to the point of unfomfortable and the 45 was just huge! I wasn't going to gamble that the 44's would loosen up.

Even though they were meant to be the same fit, the size differences between models was huge. Maybe a 44/45 in a different NW model would get you a better fit from the off?

HTH
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Hmm, maybe I ll have to wear them in the shower a few times to encourage them a bit....Maybe the being demo versions in the shop had loosened them a bit.

Curse my stupid shaped feet!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hi,

i got size 43 (Blaze Plus) and the fit is very snug. i am trying to Stretch them a bit by heating in the oven. for now i started at 55Celsius, and gradually warmer if required. it seems that i can go to 70C
    Keep you posted
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Never noticed my vertigo's stretch - a size up from my normal shoes though.

Great shoes though.
  • What model are they? Northwave do 44.5s in some shoes. Personally I've found if shoes feel too tight they generally only feel worse after you've worn them a bit - what is okish for 5 minutes in your house isn't for 3 hours in hot conditions.

I've actually had the same with a pair of Northwaves (Tom Boonen world champs edition) hoping they'd loosen up and after a couple of months I gave them to a mate in exchange for something else cycling related I forget what.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    One trick is to insert ice box coolers inside the shoe, put in the freezer, the cooler then expands as it freezes gently giving the shoe a stretch.
  • Interesting stuff , did not think about the freezer Option. hope they dont burst ;)
    i got the 43 Blaze Plus 43. i tried with heating to 55C and feel (i think) that they loose a Little. now i will Need to try them on the ride for a couple of hours.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Got a pair of Northwaves in the Xmas sales last year, lovely shoe but too tight. After a couple of hours I just want them off.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....