Damn. N+1 is hitting me now

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
I have my commute bike (2009 Tricross Sport - the one that looks like brown was the only colour in the shop)
I have my carbon road bike (2011 Madone 4.5) for Sunday best and the odd fast commute when I'm feeling in the mood.

The 'problem' I have is that I have to strip down the Tricross when I do my longer weekend rides (mudguards and rack) and I want a weekend ride bike that I can just get on and go.

The reason why I don't use the Madone all the time is that I like to go on light trails and down some rougher cycle paths and the Madone isn't suitable.

Now I find that the new Tricross Elite is out there and looking perfect.

Damn.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Looks like you have your answer :wink:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Volagi.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I've got mudguards and rack on all my bikes. They are properly fitted so don't rattle or cause problems. I'd only worry about extra weight if I was racing.

That said I use 4 bikes on a regular basis and can't understand how anyone could manage with fewer that that :wink:
    Mine are - Main communter which is tatty enough to leave most places and use as a pub bike, Sunday best Ti, Rohloff geared go-anywhere bike, folder.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Sounds like flimsy rationalisation.

Excellent
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    i just found out you can apply for a second C2W bike when your first year is up. my tiny mind has been comprehensively blown and i'm spending stupid amounts of time tweaking Ribble Sportive Bianco specs...
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I get your point, but I'd get something different to another Tricross. Do the mudguards and rack really make that much difference? I can't be arsed to remove mine if I go for a longer ride. I think Bails is right you need a Volagi, or get properly dirty and try some real mountain biking.
  • padders
    padders Posts: 77
    i just found out you can apply for a second C2W bike when your first year is up. my tiny mind has been comprehensively blown and i'm spending stupid amounts of time tweaking Ribble Sportive Bianco specs...

Aha, welcome to my world; I have six months of my existing C2W contract to go and I'm already greedily eyeing up a Willier frameset...

As for the OP, I'd be more inclined to go for something a bit different, CX? Perhaps one of the Genesis offerings for example, but N+1 all the way!
    Marmalade
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Veronese68 wrote:
    get properly dirty and try some real mountain biking.
    Fast MTB?
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Go for a nice lightweight tourer. I wanted a sporty bike I could take anywhere and had Enigma build me a bespoke classic tourer and I absolutely love it
  • veronese68
    woodnut wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Fast MTB?
    I think Bails would agree with that.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    agree with Hoopdriver on this. Get a delicious steel-framed audax bike and throw some 28s on it.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Padders wrote:

Aha, welcome to my world; I have six months of my existing C2W contract to go and I'm already greedily eyeing up a Willier frameset...

As for the OP, I'd be more inclined to go for something a bit different, CX? Perhaps one of the Genesis offerings for example, but N+1 all the way!

Unfortunately, you can only buy complete bikes, or so I was informed. Otherwise I'd be applying for a set of some carbon clinchers to go with my Ribble from last year!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • padders
    padders Posts: 77
    Unfortunately, you can only buy complete bikes, or so I was informed. Otherwise I'd be applying for a set of some carbon clinchers to go with my Ribble from last year!! :)

Well, I would hazard a guess that it would come down to how accommodating/flexible/inventive your LBS is willing to be ;) A frameset is a bike sans a few -ahem- non-essential items.
    Marmalade
  • veronese68
    Padders wrote:

Well, I would hazard a guess that it would come down to how accommodating/flexible/inventive your LBS is willing to be ;) A frameset is a bike sans a few -ahem- non-essential items.
    Agreed, I may have signed off on a Cotic Soul frame for one of my colleagues a while ago. Can't remember what bike we said it was.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Veronese68 wrote:
    woodnut wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Fast MTB?
    I think Bails would agree with that.
    Hmmmm, I'd go for the 456, but then I'm super gnarly, duuuuuuude!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    how tall are you? i'll have a frame and fork for sale thats perfect for you next week...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Ditch the rack and leave the guards on at all times. Job done.

Or stop off roading like some sort of weirdo and ride the Madone.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm not a weirdo, I'm a pervert.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have my commute bike (2009 Tricross Sport - the one that looks like brown was the only colour in the shop)
    I have my carbon road bike (2011 Madone 4.5) for Sunday best and the odd fast commute when I'm feeling in the mood.

The 'problem' I have is that I have to strip down the Tricross when I do my longer weekend rides (mudguards and rack) and I want a weekend ride bike that I can just get on and go.

The reason why I don't use the Madone all the time is that I like to go on light trails and down some rougher cycle paths and the Madone isn't suitable.

Now I find that the new Tricross Elite is out there and looking perfect.

Damn.

And the problem is ?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    Surely this summer there is no need whatsoever for a bike to use on trails without mudguards?

Get a new bike if you want one, but personally I'd get a new groupset or swanky wheels instead.