Upgrading Trek 7.3FX fork

kikonameko
kikonameko Posts: 65
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
Hi guys, im a newbie both in this forum and in cycling. I bought a 7.3FX a month ago and is really enjoying it a lot. it was a hard decision as i was really putting it with the Specialized Sirrus Sport (the comp and higher ends are not available here in China).

Anyway I am now thinking ahead (approx 3 months) and I am interested in upgrading my fork to a carbon one similar to the 7.5 i actually just have 2 simple questions i was wondering people can help.

1. Is it possible to upgrade my fork to a different brand or should it be a trek/bontrager fork to preserve the geometry of the bike?
2. What do you guys usually do about the color of the fork? I assume that it would be tricky to get the right exact color of a new fork to the frame of your current bike.

Thanks a lot.. I realize theres more to this than these 2 questions but I happy to start a dialogue with these for now.

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Hi
    The brand does not matter as long as the steerer tube is the right size 1 and1/8 inch is a common size. The legs need to be the right length to different wheel sizes need different length fork legs but it's pretty simple as the 2 main wheel sizes are 26inch or 29inch (700). The colour may not match - this doesn't matter. Most carbon forks are a neutral dark carbon colour anyway. Look at Exotic cycle components or on one bikes. If you phone or E-mail on one cycles they will help you - thier carbon forks are good - I'd guess this is true of exotic too. You may be better going to a bike shop and getting some face to face advice though? SheldronBrowns website is also very good for cycling advice.
    Happy cycling!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • kikonameko
    kikonameko Posts: 65
    Thanks passout! really big help.. i asked a friend for a favor and had him call the trek store in the US. they have the carbon fork of the 7.5 for 200 USD. Ill try and check out the website you suggested.. but i think im already good on the 7.5 carbon fork.