Hubs?

Mikecadarn
Mikecadarn Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a jump bike which used to have mavic D521 rims on LX hubs with v brakes. Upgraded to discs and the shop persuaded me to get a new wheel set off the shelf. Now he said they would be the same but to me the bike doesn't "roll" like it used to! It feels slow and I have to put a lot more in to get anywhere. Asked the shop and got a stupid response. So which are the best free rolling or anti friction sealed bearing hubs QR still of course
Thanks
Mike

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they are all about the same.

sounds like you just need to let the grease sort its self out.

running the same tyres?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kind of depends on the wheels as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Mikecadarn wrote:
    ...LX hubs...
    Shimano use cup-and-cone bearings in their hubs which while not exactly maintenance free can be set up to roll very easily. Cartridge bearing hubs require a lot less maintenance but can feel draggy in comparison they kindof bed in after a while but imo they never have the same easy-rolling feel as Shimano's finest.

If you've bought wheels with a heavier rim it will also make a noticeable difference the extra unsprung weight and inertia will make them feel draggy.
  • Thanks for replies.
    New rims are mavic 317
    New tyres are Bontrage jones ACX B 2.2
    Old tyres were tioga factory Dh 2.3
    New hubs are shimano M475

The whole weight of the bike is lower as it used to have triple clamp forks on it. But it just seems so much more work round the pump track, doesn't roll like it used to. Have to pedal like a nut job to get more than 2 laps.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Put the bike upside down or in a workstand. Spin the wheels. What happens? Do they grind to a halt straight away or roll and roll?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    Seeing as it has lighter rims and tyres, and Shim hubs, it should be quicker.
    So what bails said.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Mikecadarn wrote:
    New rims are mavic 317
    New tyres are Bontrage jones ACX B 2.2
    Old tyres were tioga factory Dh 2.3
    New hubs are shimano M475
    Should be pretty good tbh.

Are the discs dragging? There might be a bit of shing-shing going on but the wheels should still spin easily esp the front one.
  • Put it upside down next to my B17 with its standard Marin hubs.
    The jump bike stops 30 secs before the Marin! The Marin has its own hubs on wtb speed disc all mountain rims with kenda nevegal 2.35 tyres.
    Am I missing something here? Lubricants playing a part maybe?
  • cooldad
    Depends what 30 seconds earlier is, 30 seconds sooner than 31 seconds - problem, 30 seconds sooner than an hour, no problem.
    Probably need a bit of time as Nick said, or possibly the cups have been overtightened by a robot in the factory.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You did do your 'test' with the calipers off didn't you to take them out the equation?
  • An hour! I should be so lucky. The jump bike runs for 1 min 50 secs the Marin for 2 mins 20 secs. Think I'll follow the suggestion of the pre load as they are on tapers. Cheers for the help
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just use them. then will need some use to bed in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Mikecadarn wrote:
    An hour! I should be so lucky. The jump bike runs for 1 min 50 secs
    Not a problem then.
    More than likely just a slightly thicker grease int he bearings.
  • cooldad
    Close on two minutes sounds fine to me, most likely you are just used to the momentum of heavier wheels and tyres - the runaway train effect.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools