What a difference a pad makes...

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
I can set up brakes, but was just putting the very poor performance of my cantis on the CX down to inefficient design compared to the DurAce on the fixeh. Fitted some coolstop salmons. Bugger me! Quel difference! I had assumed that the OE Tektro cartridge pads were going to be reasonable - WRONG.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    Hi Simon,

Also have a Cannondale CX, where did you get the pads from? My bike has done less than 1k and use it for commuting and main bike for weekends! Still have some wear to get through on current pad set up.

Cheers

LP
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • SimonAH
    Hi Simon,

Also have a Cannondale CX, where did you get the pads from? My bike has done less than 1k and use it for commuting and main bike for weekends! Still have some wear to get through on current pad set up.

Cheers

LP

Wiggle (about 11 notes a set IIRC). Added bonus is the are much narrower too so you can drop a wheel out without having to deflate the tyre.

• SimonAH
    Ah, for anyone searching and not familiar, I meant Koolstop, sorry.

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    And the difference is yoouu.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The biggest improvement to brakes is to keep the rims & pads clean. A bit of grunty cleaning with that squirty bike cleaner stuff on the rims & pads has it stopping like someone's lobbed an anchor out of the back of my jersey. Std Ultegra pads too, nothing flash.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    SimonAH wrote:
    I can set up brakes
    And you do understand canti leverage, right ? Straddle hights & stuff ? [I expect yes, from your other posts]
    What pads did you start with ? [Edit:] Tektro. Not the best.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Running the same pads on both bikes but differen groupos says to me that tektro brakes are a bit poorer than ultegra. Problem is to upgrade I need longer drop Brake mechs than Shimano provide in most of the range.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • SimonAH
    @CiB, I agree, but I assure you my rims are sparkling ( love a bit of rimming, fnurk) and this is a straight comparison of pad design and compound. In fact I strongly suspect that the awesome stopping power of my DurAce caliper on the fixie is as much to do with the Shimano DuraAce pads as the better performance of the Tektro dual pivot clamp it replaced.

• mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    SimonAH wrote:
    putting the very poor performance of my cantis on the CX down to inefficient design

Fitted some coolstop salmons. Bugger me! Quel difference! I had assumed that the OE Tektro cartridge pads were going to be reasonable - WRONG.
    I did mention that to you a while back. ;) The pad material makes a big difference to canti brakes. So does setup but some designs offer so little adjustment there isn't much you can do to tweak them there.

Mike
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    How odd - I replaced my Tektro pads with some Koolstops last night on my 'Dale (Synapse not CX though) and had exactly the same epiphany. Huge difference.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I did a similar thing in the winter. Put Swisstop Green on the canti's on the Kona Jake. What a difference! Had to regularly clean the rims through the worst of the weather though. Be interesting to compare Swiss to Kool.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    anyone know what pads will fit on my Tektro brakes?

im guessing its a just a standard cartridge?

muchas grassy ass
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Standard Shimano size when I swapped mine.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Standard Shimano size when I swapped mine.

bloody marvellous!

thanks buddy
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I use Koolstop Salmon on my commuter (V brakes or whatever they are called) yes they are good - still prefer my swiss stop greens for my road bike though.