worth upgrading Suntour Epicon to reba?

MDobs
MDobs Posts: 167
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
have seen a 2012 reba rlt for what seems like a cracking price and wondered how much of an upgrade it would be to my current Suntour Epicon LOD (120mm 15QR)? it's for a carrera fury 2009/10.

is this a worthwhile upgrade at £270?

Comments

• acer2012
    acer2012 Posts: 45
    -The Epicons weight in at around about 1.95-2kg whilst the Rebas will be more like 1.5-1.57kg so there's about a 1/2 kg weight saving there.
    -Possibly the most obvious advantage of the new forks will be the added control that you'll gain but the difference may not be night and day (check out: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 5-09-34193, Bike radar seem to think the damping on the Epicon is pretty good).
    -Having said that the added adjustments, namely the better rebound control and the dual air system, might allow you to get a much better setup than you can currently get on the Epicons.
    -For £270 the Rebas are a really good deal, assuming they're new of course.

A possible fly in the ointment is the compatibility of the QLOC system used by the front wheel and the QR15 on the Reba, not sure if they're will play togeather.

-Wheel wise, as far as I remember, the 317 rims are a pretty decent weight and being at the outer edge of the wheel the rims will make more of a difference to the acceleration and handling than a lightweight hub will.

Have you considered new tyres? I think the Furys come with wire beaded Continental Speed Kings which aren't the lightest tyres around, nor the grippiest for that matter. Again, being at the very outer edge of the wheel, light tyres would make a big difference on the acceleration and handling. Some really decent XC tyres can be found for about £50 a pair (I'm thinking "Schwalbe Nobby Nic EVO" kind of tyres) which is quite a bit cheaper than £270! Bear in mind that they won't last anywhere near as long as other components though.

Sorry for the essay!
  • MDobs
    cheers.

the performance is the most interesting bit for me, but yeah the weight saving would be nice.
    think the axle should be compatible with my wheel, both forks are 15mm axles.

the decision really depends on how much of an improvement the adjustment and damping is on the reba over the epicon, something i'm not going to be able to find out without trying them... or getting some advice on here!

it's over a year old now and i've already changed tyres, got a fat albert front and nobby nic rear, looking at trying a few other tyres as well, like maybe a racing ralph for the rear and moving NN up front, or maxxis minion up front. i've been on a mission to get more front end grip which was hideous on the speed kings (although my technique definitely needs improving as well!).

oh, and yes the rebas are new at that price.
  • MDobs
    shameless bump as keen for any advice on this really.

is the Reba a significantly better fork to warrant £270 outlay?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is a better fork, no doubt. But I'd get new tyres first.
  • MDobs
    I've had several different tyres and will probably change again regardless of if i change the fork, so that aside if the Reba is a significant improvement over the Epicon i'm going to go with it.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The fork should make a huge difference. Biggest things on a bike to make the most difference are tyres, suspension and brakes I reckon. In that order.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • acer2012
    acer2012 Posts: 45
    I replaced a lower spec Suntour fork with a Reba RL and have to say it was worth it, a lot more control and gives the front end a quality feel :P.
  • MDobs
    ok, i think that's settled it, i'm going to go for it.
  • The Epicon is a good fork though, one of the best 'budget' offerings.
  • MDobs
    yeah, it's been ok, i don't know though, the Reba for that price seems like a cracking deal.

i had some problems with the epicon a while ago where it just sank through its travel, as in right up to the crown, and wouldn't return. seems to be ok since i took it into the lbs and they sorted it out but it just sowed a little seed of doubt in my mind and ever since i'm not sure it's been the same.