House Insurance that will cover bike

497adam
497adam Posts: 52
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Hi guys looking to renew house insurance, I wondered if anyone could recommend a company that will cover your bikes?

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    more than and direct line do, you pays your money though if it's over a certain value
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Most will cover them. You want 'away from home' cover to cover them out and about which might be extra or included, and most now only cover them to a limit typically lower than the value of expensive bikes.

Check the small print basically, especially individual item limits, and see what they say about modifications, self builds, will they cover a component nicked rather than whole bike, etc (probably nothing but they'll try to weasel out if they can).

M&S was the one to get though, but I understand for new policies they've dropped the individual item limit a lot (£1k now?)

You can likely pay extra to cover it fully however.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have mine covered by Swinton on the house insurance 2 bikes covered for £4,000 costs me £180 extra a year. As said you need to check fine print just found out mine arent covered on the roof rack for damage if I am in an accident
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cloudynights
    cloudynights Posts: 351
    mines with swinton and bikes covered at no real extra cost, bikes worth about £3500 to replace
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Padgie
    Padgie Posts: 20
    Halifax for me...
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    mines with swinton and bikes covered at no real extra cost, bikes worth about £3500 to replace

Check your policy i recently found out after ringing them that each bike is only covered up to £500 with swinton s normal house contents insurance !!

Ive now got to wait a few months till policy ends to change cover doh
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    More Than were good for me. They happened to be the cheapest, they cover all bikes up to £1500 by default, and named bikes up to £5k.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    stubs wrote:
    I have mine covered by Swinton on the house insurance 2 bikes covered for £4,000 costs me £180 extra a year. As said you need to check fine print just found out mine arent covered on the roof rack for damage if I am in an accident

Its on the car check your car insurance for that
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Similar thing with Aviva - bicycles are covered up to £1000 by default or more if it's a 'named item'

Have not claimed for a bike but they've been pretty good with a carpet and a PS3.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    bails87 wrote:
    More Than were good for me. They happened to be the cheapest, they cover all bikes up to £1500 by default, and named bikes up to £5k.

this and for an extra £1 a month you get cover away from home as well
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I found it was cheaper to get xeparate bike insurance rather than add it onto my house.
    I think Direct Line were asking for about £200 extra, whilst I got £148 from the CTC's insurance
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    compo wrote:
    I found it was cheaper to get xeparate bike insurance rather than add it onto my house.
    I think Direct Line were asking for about £200 extra, whilst I got £148 from the CTC's insurance

Im with DL and the basic cover doesnt have bikes as standard (doesnt have accidental damage either) but the plus does its an extra £20 for the bikes on a like for like
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • 497adam
    497adam Posts: 52
    Thanks guys think we are with more than at mo, but due for renewal and got a new bike so want to make sure its covered
  • My home insurance is with Esure. They cover bikes upto £1000 free of any additional extra charge.

To put my £2000ish bike on to the policy cost £32 extra for the year. Thats only covering the bike at home if its stolen.
    I dont bother with adding away from home cover as my bike is only ever 'in' the car or under me when its out of the home, i would never take it out and lock it up. Ever.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x