Which 160mm frame?

Skyshaper
Skyshaper Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Currently I'm thinking of replacing my Mythic spitfire (a lovely bike but too much crossover with my P7) for something with a bit more travel and downhill orientated.

Currently I'm quite keen on the following:

Titus el guapo
Transition covert
Liteville 301 (or maybe 601?)

I have a pair of 160 fox vans the frame would have to take, ideally it'd take a piggy back coil shock and I'd like a 68/73mm bottom bracket if possible. Any opinions on the above or any other frames worth considering would be great thanks!

Cheers.

Comments

• bjj.andy.w
    bjj.andy.w Posts: 111
    Santa cruz nomad, nukeproof mega
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Covert, Nomad or Reign X
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Canyon have a 160, I think it's the Strike? YT industries has a 160 too. I don't know if either of these are sold as framesets alone though but I'm sure they'll be nice n cheap if they do. I've a Canyon in 170mm guise and I've no problems with it. But the new carbon Covert is my current frame of lust and that's 160. I think actually the alloy one is a 150, only the new carbon one is 160.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Know a good few happy Transition Covert riders out of your list.

But a i say in the 160 bikes area's all the time go test, the difference in styles between 160 bikes from my testing days was huge, with some being very trail and XC orientated, to others feeling like mini DH machines for example

Nomad, very trail friendly, fast pedally bike which was fun.
    Mondraker Dune R, less trail friendly more DH orientated, felt more stable at speed and in the air (So i bought this one myself)

Both good bikes, both do it all, both come at it from different angels(literally lol)

So go look and don't listen to most people there priorities will be different most people would choose the nomad over my dune its lighter for a start and pedals better on a climb, but i needed a single bike to do it all and spend more time at FOD DHing these days than anything else so the Dune really fits my riding style.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Canyon have a 160, I think it's the Strike? YT industries has a 160 too. I don't know if either of these are sold as framesets alone though but I'm sure they'll be nice n cheap if they do

The are surprisingly expensive. I think they make their bikes so cheap by buying the components in bulk.
    Getting demo's on 160mm bikes can be quite difficult and the comment above about the Nomad being more like a trail bike & the Dune being more of a mini DH bike seems odd, I thought the Nomad rode better the harder I pushed it and the Dune was the opposite.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Spesh Enduro is an amazing machine
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Spesh Enduro is an amazing machine

Actually... this. It's the defacto 160mm bike... I'm surprised it was forgotten about in favor of boutique brands like transition and Santa Cruz.
    go look and don't listen to most people there priorities will be different

But mainly this.
  • Skyshaper
    Cheers for the opinions, I know I really should go out and look but it's hard to find some of these models in the flesh and I'm interested to hear other thoughts and general views too.

Lots of familiar names popping up, many of which I've already thought a bit about but maybe worth revisiting. Just to clarify the bike would be used for general dossing about on DH trails, enduro style riding and hike a bike on the Lakeland passes etc. so pedalling efficiency isn't too high on the list but the option of a front mech would be nice.

So I guess most common terrain would be rock gardens and a bit rooty, if that helps?
  • felix.london
    But as Thewaylander says even within Transition you have the Covert which I guess is sold as an enduro type bike and the TR250 which is basically a DH bike - both 160mm frames...maybe the Covert is 150mm (??) but you get the point

Trek Session 8
  • Skyshaper
    But as Thewaylander says even within Transition you have the Covert which I guess is sold as an enduro type bike and the TR250 which is basically a DH bike - both 160mm frames...maybe the Covert is 150mm (??) but you get the point

True, however the TR250 is based around a 180mm fork and I already have a 160mm... but yeah I understand guess I just need to do a bit more research!
  • felix.london
    If you can test ride a Spesh Enduro - make sure you do. I was mighty impressed with the one I had last summer for a week or so. Just an awesome bike all round imo

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    BTW the only 2012 models they import are the top ones, no longer import the comp as far as i'm aware. Prices from £2,499 whereas in 2011 they imported the comp which was £2,000. Oh and the EVO is 170mm which is the 2.5k one, and it's pus yellow and blood red.
  • 1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    +1 for the spesh enduro, but then I would say that :) Only the evo models will take a coil shock but you can buy an evo link and shock for a standard frame if you really want it.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    There's also the spesh pitch:
    http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized- ... -92-0.html
    150mm frame but it'll probably take a 160mm fork ok.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • bjj.andy.w
    bjj.andy.w Posts: 111
    Forgot to mention the trek slash. Demo'd one (along with a lappiare spicy and a whyte146) and it was the only one that really impressed me. Still perfer my nomad though.
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • Commy Meta SX?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Canyon have a 160, I think it's the Strike? YT industries has a 160 too. I don't know if either of these are sold as framesets alone though but I'm sure they'll be nice n cheap if they do

The are surprisingly expensive. I think they make their bikes so cheap by buying the components in bulk.
    Getting demo's on 160mm bikes can be quite difficult and the comment above about the Nomad being more like a trail bike & the Dune being more of a mini DH bike seems odd, I thought the Nomad rode better the harder I pushed it and the Dune was the opposite.

On flat or trail centre maybe for you, but on an actual DH course Nomad is just not the same, :) test ridden both extensively :p actualy found the Butcher to be a more aggressive ride that the Nomad(This is not to say the Nomad is a bad bike I liked it and would have it as my 160bike if I could afford to have a full DH bike too).
  • rockmonkeysc
    I rode the Nomad at Triscombe on a pretty ugly DH trail & thought it was excellent when pushed hard. It did have a DHX5 coil rather than the standard air shock which probably helped. I just didn't like the Dune to be honest.