Crank Brothers Iodine Wheelset?

sirichmond
sirichmond Posts: 250
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

After advice, thinking of getting a set of these babies as wanted a set for a long time, now I know they had problems with their freehubs but are they better now, so anyone that has any give me some feedback. Also seen a set in the orignial orange which the seller says are version 2 but looking on CB website version 2 appears to come in Iron colour only is this correct.

Cheers

http://www.allthegearnoidea.net

Yorkshire & North East MTB

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You'd be better off buying a very expensive wheel of cheese, it'll probably be stronger.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Halfords Bikehut wheels are far superior.
    CB wheels are pointless & very over priced. Never buy wheels based purely on asthetics.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Rockmonkey - little post hijack (sorry) - Superstar DHX wheelset for a mate's DJ/DH bike on a budget. Yes, no, maybe?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    Felix - Yes. I have their DH595 rims on switch hubs and they're great, if a little heavy.

rockmonkey - you could get hope hoops for half the price of the iodines. Not sure I'd touch halfrauds wheels.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • felix.london
    Not as heavy as the Halo Combats he was looking at :shock:

Cheers for that. Might even be interested in a set of them myself for the Snap build

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    Might be worth getting the AM rims for that, the DH ones are pretty weighty, bomb-proof though. They've probably required less attention than any other wheels I've had.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • felix.london
    Yeah was thinking that. Although don't know if there's a lot between them weight wise.

Trek Session 8
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Mine (Iodine 3) have been fine. They were standard rather than a lavish upgrade but seem to be holding up fine. I'll let you know if this is still true after the Alps in 4 weeks.....
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rockmonkey - little post hijack (sorry) - Superstar DHX wheelset for a mate's DJ/DH bike on a budget. Yes, no, maybe?

Not tried the DHX wheelset but I know the Southern Downhill team used the Superstar DH595 wheelsets on the team race bikes in the BDS series and were very impressed with them. I think the DHX rims are the same as the DH595 rims but with a lower quality finish so should be as strong but not as pretty.
    I used the Mavic EX721 on Superstar Switch Evo hubs and was extremely impressed. Cost me £200, they looked great and after six downhill races several uplift days, some badly cased jumps and loads of days at the local trails all with my 16 stone on board they were still dead true. Some of that was down to the Mavic rims but Superstar's build quality counted for a lot as well.