Higgs boson

Daz555
Daz555 Posts: 3,976
edited July 2012 in The Crudcatcher
I'm am a complete science geek - I'll admit that, but I'm oddly proud of the human race today.

111 nations, 2.6bn pounds, 8,000 scientists & engineers, the construction of the largest machine in history, and we finally solve a 45 year old mystery - a critical fundamental missing piece of our current understanding of the universe (ok only 99.99999% sure).

"Curiosity driven science" at its finest and most spectacular.

Ok, I can now bring my geek level back to mere normal.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Our work here is done; Global Thermonuclear Armageddon can now proceed.

Seriously, this is quite a special moment for science.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yarp next issue,

Dark matter, other than observation that the universe is too heavy and doesn't fly apart how do we know it's there? where the feck is it? how do we measure then see it? and what can we do with it if is there!
  • mrmonkfinger
    Dark matter, other than observation that the universe is too heavy and doesn't fly apart how do we know it's there?

ask nasa

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/fo ... rk-energy/
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    Yarp next issue,

Dark matter, other than observation that the universe is too heavy and doesn't fly apart how do we know it's there? where the feck is it? how do we measure then see it? and what can we do with it if is there!

It's all curled up at sub-Planck scale in the rest of the dimensions of the universe apart from the four that we inhabit. That's why we can't see it, innit? It's only the gravitational effects of it that we notice across the dimensional boundaries.

That's my theory anyway.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Yarp next issue,

We know it's there because Sheep's mum sells it for £32 a teenth.
    It's in Rhyl.
    She measures it with Njee's bike scales.
    You can get your rocks off, like totally cosmic, man.

Anyway, yes, exciting day for real science.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    meh neutrino oscillation thats where the cool cats theorise
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Higgs Boson hasn't been directly observed though, just the effects of it that were predicted have been and can assume it therefore exists. But we're assuming a theory that fits exists. Bit like with exo-planets. None can be seen, but they're the best explanation. Could still be something wild we didn't expect. Again like dark matter/energy. Just "we don't know what" stuff invented to fill a hole in our knowledge. We'll prove "don't know what" exists, but could be some other explanation for it we didn't think of.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Now they've found the Higgs can the McCanns get these scientists to find Maddie?
  • mrmonkfinger
    deadkenny wrote:
    Higgs Boson hasn't been directly observed though, just the effects of it that were predicted have been and can assume it therefore exists. But we're assuming a theory that fits exists. Bit like with exo-planets. None can be seen, but they're the best explanation. Could still be something wild we didn't expect. Again like dark matter/energy. Just "we don't know what" stuff invented to fill a hole in our knowledge. We'll prove "don't know what" exists, but could be some other explanation for it we didn't think of.

if there was a theory there that needed explanation, if explanation is the thing that was needed, then that was the best guess for an explanation that we have, even though it can't really be explained and that wasn't an explanation
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Now they've found the Higgs can the McCanns get these scientists to find Maddie?

Where is the like button on here?

Very very cool indeed. I'd love to witness a tunnel like the one they have, and even try to wrap my head around the complexities. Unfortunately, I won't be able to ever.

And were pretty sure the theory is a best guess at the explanation to "five sigma"
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    EH_Rob wrote:

Where is the like button on here?

Very very cool indeed. I'd love to witness a tunnel like the one they have, and even try to wrap my head around the complexities. Unfortunately, I won't be able to ever.

We call it the McCann love tunnel because you know whats at the end. Its not very complex, just a big door with a big lock and a pack of tissues for when you leave.

You will be able to, if you have the £'s.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • YeehaaMcgee

And were pretty sure the theory is a best guess at the explanation to "five sigma"

I'll experience your tunnel in a minute.

(Incidentally, due to a lack of humour on your part, I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not, but 5 sigma is a statistical term.
    What they've found is evidence. And for that evidence to be accepted as "proof" of a particle being found, they have to give the probability of this result being random coincidence or not - and the probability has to be above a set level.
    A Sigma5 result means that there's only a 1 in 3million chance that this is a false positive.)
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423

I'll experience your tunnel in a minute.

(Incidentally, due to a lack of humour on your part, I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not, but 5 sigma is a statistical term.
    What they've found is evidence. And for that evidence to be accepted as "proof" of a particle being found, they have to give the probability of this result being random coincidence or not - and the probability has to be above a set level.
    A Sigma5 result means that there's only a 1 in 3million chance that this is a false positive.)

I know, I know. Was more a carry on from the post above mine, where he cracked a similar joke, so I just ended it in my retarded way.

Oh, and you have got a good tunnel experiencing in you. :P
  • Anonymous
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Accelerate the McCanns to near light speed and smash them together, then see what comes out of it.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    deadkenny wrote:
    Higgs Boson hasn't been directly observed though.
    It is impossible to directly observe any subatomic particle so the Higgs is nothing special in that regard.

The most interesting thing about the Higgs is that it has a massive arse. 130 times more flabby than your common or garden proton.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    deadkenny wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Accelerate the McCanns to near light speed and smash them together, then see what comes out of it.

Another book deal?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    deadkenny wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:
    YES!!
    I'm sure there's a watchable TV show in that.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    all we need to do now is develop an anti higgs boson field and apply it to our bikes to make them weightless... would make climbs so much easier :-)
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    Now that it has been found should we have some sort of mass celebration?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A massturbation?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    If Higgs Boson is the god particle and responsible for mass and gravity, then as someone who likes bikes to go down hills I have just found my god.
  • Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    cooldad wrote:
    A massturbation?
    Trust you to have lepton to this
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    cooldad wrote:
    A massturbation?

Shame there isn't a particle called a twunt given the quality of that one Cooldad.