The Higgs Boson

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited July 2012 in The bottom bracket
is hypothetical and may not even exist - a bit like a good day in Crewe. :D
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    A Higgs Boson goes into a church. The priest says “We don’t allow Bosons in here”.
    ”Ah” says the Higgs “If I’m not here, you can’t have Mass.”
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    http://www.badscience.net/2006/11/238/

'This may strike you as the geek equivalent of looking up “arse” in the dictionary. I believe, however, that examples of serious documents in which hadron is mispelt “hardon” are immensely, hilariously funny. This may be a minority opinion.'
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    RDW wrote:
    http://www.badscience.net/2006/11/238/

'This may strike you as the geek equivalent of looking up “ars*” in the dictionary. I believe, however, that examples of serious documents in which hadron is mispelt “hardon” are immensely, hilariously funny. This may be a minority opinion.'
    I'm guessing it probably is.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    As in large ha[dr]on collider? Sounds like a double p film i once saw.
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    So... the Higgs Boson gives things mass - but what is the boson made from? I know something can't be infinitely small but is there a point where 'nothing' becomes 'something? Does that make sense and can it be answered? Ta.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Bosons can be composite or elementary particles, but the Higgs is apparently elementary; it's not thought to be made up of anything else.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I think he's riding pretty well. It's odd not seeing him in Sky colours but I actually like the Norwegian champions jersey.... :oops: :roll:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    jordan_217 wrote:
    I think he's riding pretty well. It's odd not seeing him in Sky colours but I actually like the Norwegian champions jersey.... :oops: :roll:

1317380769920-4696bnaz4509-500-90-500-70.jpg

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I was pointed to this the other day, explains a lot and quite nicely.

http://vimeo.com/41038445

The older I get, the better I was.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,137
    garrynolan wrote:
    So... the Higgs Boson gives things mass - but what is the boson made from? I know something can't be infinitely small but is there a point where 'nothing' becomes 'something? Does that make sense and can it be answered? Ta.

i did write a longer answer, but it took so long that my login timed out and i lost it!

the higgs is the 'force carrier' of the higgs field, which permeates all space, other particles* are endowed with mass by interacting with the field (*except photons and gluons, they don't interact with the higgs and so are massless)

what we think of as particles can act as waves, we don't know what this means, it's possible that stuff is neither and at least so far we're not clever enough to figure it out

you could say that the fundamental particles of the standard model are made of 'energy', if we bang two particles together hard enough, we can create one or more different particles

we also don't know what energy, time and space are, or even if they exist at all

imho it would be wonderful to spend a few lifetimes working at cern trying to find out what else we don't know, there should be some excellent cycling in the region
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    jordan_217 wrote:

1317380769920-4696bnaz4509-500-90-500-70.jpg

David

Tee hee :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Why so much effort to find it? I'm sure its down the back of our sofa somewhere. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)