Cyclist fined £850 for brain damaging ped

13»

Comments

• bails87 wrote:
    Sometimes I think people deliberately don't understand things......

And as for the punishment in this case. He got a fine because it was the maximum penalty. But the maximum penalty is 'only' a fine because the crime is 'careless cycling' which suggests no intent to harm...

My point was that he couldn't be given a prison sentence because he was charged with and convicted of a crime which doesn't have prison available as a penalty...
    spen666 wrote:
    So what crime should he have been charged with then?

Assuming you feel that his crime merited a punishment with prison as an option, how about 'Causing bodily harm by wanton or furious driving' (maximum 2 years’ imprisonment – OAPA s.35)?
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    vermin wrote:
    In the mean time we, as cyclists, are vilified as a group, because many non-cyclists see us as a single group. We really do need to do something about this. I am endlessly appalled by the number of cyclists who habitually RLJ in London.

If the LCC can organise mass demos in London, why can we not do something similar to raise the heat under RLJers , to embarass the RLJers and to make the non-cycling community aware that we are equally appalled by their behaviour?

+1