How comfortable should my bike be?

MrMatt
MrMatt Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have recently got in to road riding as a result of cycling to work but I find my bike gets pretty uncomfortable after about 2 hours in the saddle. I have always ridden bikes, general mountain/trail so I was pretty surprised to find the discomfort so early on.

So, my question is..... should I try new bits on the bike i.e. a different saddle or saddle angle, will adjusting the high of the bars make a difference or is this pretty standard?

Obviously I am not expecting it to be the most comfortable thing in the world but I seem to have to cut my rides short before my legs run out of puff.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    There is always an element of MTFU to get used to a bike and build the strengths in the relevant muscle areas however you also need to ensure you are starting off with a frame and components such as stem, seat post and saddle that fit you. Might be worth paying for a bike fit as there are a number of factors to consider and you could easily be pointed to the wrong direction unless you give more details. Such as what exactly is uncomfortable?

Saddle and seat post are always a good start point and most numb bums come because of poor saddle fit.

Most Lbs can measure sit bones to get you on a saddle that your sit bones sit on rather than be wedged apart!
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • MrMatt
    MrMatt Posts: 3
    Thanks guys, the main discomfort is coming from the butt/saddle area so it looks like the saddle will be my first port of call. I will probably take your advise and go and get set up in my local shop.
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    Saddles are very difficult things. Price is no guidance, neither are recommendations. The only thing is to try a few on rides for a few weeks. Maybe use the saddle swap on here, maybe borrow one off a mate but remember you will take a little time to adjust.

A bike fit is a great investment and well worth the time and cost.
  • I sat on on one of those 'butt gauges' (I swear that's what it was called) and they said I was a small to medium. Although as it's placed in the middle of the shop I was in I don't imagine it's very female friendly :lol:

Anyway, a 'small to medium seat was purchased and I've found it very comfortable!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What saddle do you have. Some bikes ome with saddles so hard I cannot believe anyone finds them comfortable.

I am not going to recomend a saddle to you as I have not seen you but when you find one stick to it. For me it's the Sella Italia C2, Sella Italia Turbo and the SDG Bel air. There will be others but I am not rich enough to try them all.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    I sat on on one of those 'butt gauges' (I swear that's what it was called) and they said I was a small to medium. Although as it's placed in the middle of the shop I was in I don't imagine it's very female friendly :lol:

!

After reading this, the following thought came into my head of some female getting measured and the guy shouting across the shop " Hey Joe, do we have a saddle in size enormous in stock ? ", think you are right about it not being female friendly.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Raffles wrote:
    I sat on on one of those 'butt gauges' (I swear that's what it was called) and they said I was a small to medium. Although as it's placed in the middle of the shop I was in I don't imagine it's very female friendly :lol:

!

After reading this, the following thought came into my head of some female getting measured and the guy shouting across the shop " Hey Joe, do we have a saddle in size enormous in stock ? ", think you are right about it not being female friendly.
    It should be said, however, that sit-bone width is more or less independent of the quantity of soft tissue that surrounds them.

As an example I was slipstreaming a female cyclist yesterday evening; clearly an accomplished rider on a well-used white-under-the-muck Carrera roadie, yet her 'comfortable' posterior was resting on a Fizik Arione which I find uncomfortable.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    As an example I was slipstreaming a female cyclist yesterday evening; clearly an accomplished rider on a well-used white-under-the-muck Carrera roadie, yet her 'comfortable' posterior was resting on a Fizik Arione which I find uncomfortable.

You sir are obviosuly a very talented individual - I am particularly impressed that you even noticed a saddle :shock: :P
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    smidsy wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:

You sir are obviosuly a very talented individual - I am particularly impressed that you even noticed a saddle :shock: :P
    Rule 5. ;)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Reminds me of the old Yellow Pages ad

Look at that saddle, be like sitting on a razor blade.
    http://youtu.be/TMYZyUygW6Y