DMR V8's

cameronb
cameronb Posts: 102
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've got some dmr v8's on my hardtail bike and they've been used for about 4 muddy and wet rides and now they're clicking, and I can feel a grinding when they spin. I've just took them all apart, cleaned and regreased them so should now be ok. What I want to know is for flat pedals are these sh!te? A couple of reviews seem to be pretty poor, and whats a good replacment flat pedal similar in size to the v8 that won't need a overhaul after 4 rides.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    wellgo MG1s
    or the SlimJim shaped ones-
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Did you grease them using the syringe when you first got them?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    picked up v8's in lbs and they were grinding out of the box so put them straight down, bearings are not sealed

i did go for the v12 with sealed bearings and im very happy with them, need to get some skate shoes or something with thicker soles though, as feet ache off the pins, not complaining too much though as my feet feel locked in when riding.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    V8s were game changers 8 years ago, but people go for much thinner pedals these days. I've still got some V8s as emergency pedals though.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    i think that's closer to 18 years ago....
  • bluechair84
    Ah yes, I forgot how old I was... I started using them 12 years ago but they'd probably been around for a while prior to that...
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    DMR's are crap,

My V12 fel apart, My V8's lasted a few weeks. I'm now on some superstar nanotechs and there superb.

DMR are made of cheese, like a sloppy bree!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Problem I had with V8s is that the platform is too small, leading my foot to wrap around the outside of the pedal which causes some knee discomfort.
    Switched to Wellgo B52s or whatever they're called, and been fine since.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    DMR pedals are awful, not a great deal of grip and the platform is too small, always made my feet hurt.
    Get some superstars or equivalent.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cameronb
    Thanks for your replys, the v8's can go in the back of the cupboard went for some superstar ones. Hopefully I'll get some free haribo too.
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    ilovedirt wrote:
    DMR pedals are awful, not a great deal of grip and the platform is too small, always made my feet hurt.

Really?? my Vaults are ace. Not one foot slip since putting them on and a nice big platform.
  • I had a set of DMR v12's for about 6 years and they were just as good the day i sold the bike as they were when i got it.
    Apart from all the paint coming off from hitting rocks and stuff.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I had some V8s last year and they were crap. Replaced with MG1's, which are fantastic.

Although buying them in white was a stupid idea.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I love my V8s
    Then again I do have tiny feet so the size is handy, and I do have to constantly grease them...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    V8's & V12's are crap. My Superstar Nano's are really excellent though I am thinking of getting some Saint pedals for my DH bike just because they are so bling and reasonably priced.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Vaults are good. But not for the asking price, pedals a third the price that work as well.
  • bluechair84
    Just on the front of the variaties of V12s, I once had some Mag V12s and smashed them to bits in a month. The material was way too brittle for a big flattie.
  • mikkybgs
    mikkybgs Posts: 78
    +1 for the Superstar Nano's - excellent pedals

But out of interest, of the two varieties available is the only different the fact that one has thru-pins, and why would that make so much of a weight difference? (I see there is a slight structural difference)
    -Especially considering that they are the same price. I went for the lighter non-thru-pin variety.....
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

Really?? my Vaults are ace. Not one foot slip since putting them on and a nice big platform.
    Well alright, I meant to say V8s and V12s are awful. Vaults aren't really in the same league, they're about 4 times the price for a start. I'd still get superstars over vaults though, can't afford to drop that much on pedals.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cameronb
    Fitted the superstar ones and first impressions seem good, feel like a lot more expensive pedal. I'm surprised to see they're exactly the same as my mates nukeproof neutron pedals but his cost a tenner more? True case of paying for the name haha
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited July 2012
    cameronb wrote:
    Fitted the superstar ones and first impressions seem good, feel like a lot more expensive pedal. I'm surprised to see they're exactly the same as my mates nukeproof neutron pedals but his cost a tenner more? True case of paying for the name haha

Nukeproof, Superstar and Exotic are made by HT components

http://www.hti-pedals.com/ht_portal/front/homepage
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Double post couldn't delete