Buying advice for first bike

misterjingo
misterjingo Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I used to ride a lot in my teens, but haven't touched a bike for around 15 years. I'm looking at getting back into it by buying an entry level MTB.

I *though* i'd decided on the Voodoo Hoodoo, but then I saw the Boardman Comp and now I don't know what to do.

As a beginner, would I really notice a difference for the extra £200?

Also, perhaps a contentious issue, but the Hoodoo comes with 29 wheels - would this be better for a beginner?

I live quite close to Cannock Chase, so plan to get out and about around there - so want something that would be appropriate for that.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Hoodoo Voodoo is a 26" wheel, not 29"

Both are great bikes for their respective price points. The Hoodoo is a good buy at £500, better still at £449 + any other quidco/voucher discount you can get.

Don't forget you'll need to budget for accessories (helmet, tools, repair kit, inner tube etc) which can easily add another £100 to your purchase cost.
  • Hi mountaingoatimnot,

I should have posted a link. It seems halfords are doing a 29er version of the hoodoo:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499
  • Err, blonde moment !

The 29er has inferior fork, but something has to go to pay for the higher cost of 29er components/tyres etc.

The 26" Voodoo is a very good spec for the money

29ers aren't for everyone, try before you buy
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I've got the Boardman Comp and use it up at Cannock Chase, I'm a beginner too and still getting to grips with red graded stuff and the Comp handles it very well indeed.

Like you, I looked at the Voodoo and the Boardman and decided on the Boardman in the end. A lot of this was down to the way the bike felt when I tried it in the shop, it was also quite a lot lighter than the Voodoo as well.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Hi Ellies Dad,

I went and checked the bikes out at lunch time and went for the Boardman Comp. Picking it up tomorrow!