Chinese protests over copper plant

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Did you see the footage of the demonstrations in China against the building of a new copper plant? Looked like 10s of thousands of demonstrators and (assuming that the BBC was correct, I'm afraid I can't read Chinese banners) it was on environmental grounds and looked really well organised.

Is this the start of a sea-change for China?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    No.

For there to be a "sea of change" in China there would have to be not just a regime change but a socio-cultural one and the the people their are so programmed into loving their culture they would do anything to protect including defending the aspects that the West see as negative.

Also outside the major cities life is rural too the point of being several decades behind, I don't think you would get enough of a unified response for the population to drive the types of changes needed.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Has the Soup Dragon been at it again?
    No. It was the Iron Chicken.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    SimonAH wrote:
    Did you see the footage of the demonstrations in China against the building of a new copper plant?[...]Is this the start of a sea-change for China?
    This has been going on for a long time, and happens a lot, but the authorities are usually pretty effective in keeping this stuff under wraps. So not the start, but a sea change ? Maybe.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    No - this sort of thing goes on all the time - usually because local governments grab land for redevelopment and throw people off - central government has funds to rehouse people but it disappears into local officials pockets. Check out Bo Xilai for the latest corruption problem
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    What I meant really was in the context that most Chinese college students cannot apparently place the iconic Tianamin Square photo in context as the whole thing was so effectively smothered within China. Here however it's on Twitter - a repressed populace that now is technologically unsmotherable may start rearing up?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Ithink there are more protests in China than you might imagine. I always thought that the population was largely compliant and brainwashed to think the way the state wants them to but there was a programme on BBC4 a short while ago which showed massive protests against government plans to clear people's farmland and build large apartment blocks in an attempt to force people into a "modern" way of living and get them off the land... China is going through huge changes at the moment and its a surprise that this hasn't erupted in some way as some people lose out whilst others get very rich due to economic and population changes...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    SimonAH wrote:
    What I meant really was in the context that most Chinese college students cannot apparently place the iconic Tianamin Square photo in context as the whole thing was so effectively smothered within China. Here however it's on Twitter - a repressed populace that now is technologically unsmotherable may start rearing up?

That's one very specific event - I think you are generalising too much from that one event. China is not North Korea.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition