Tubeless tires

jae-so
jae-so Posts: 85
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
Hey guys did my commute properly for the first time (there 8.5 miles and back 12 miles testing a different route on the way back) but I got a flat on my rear wheel about a mile away from the house.

I am currently using 23c Vittorio Rubinos but I'm considering tubeless tires for this bike (which will be used solely for commuting). What do you guys think of these types of tires, the main aim is to think to minimize flats, not too worried about extra weight and I hope I won't sacrifice too much comfort (not that my tires are comfortable anyway). Can anyone recommend some good decently priced ones?

Post away

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    don't think there is much of a choice at the moment with only Hutchinson and IRC making tubeless road tyres.

nor is that likely to change realistically.
  • jae-so
    what are the other options to reduce or eliminate flats, would love a winter commuter that I don't have to worry about a flat on
  • jae-so
    Been reading around and looks like the Schwalbe Durano Plus might be a good option for me? Thoughts
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I think the advantage of tubeless is that it allows you to run lower pressures without loss of performance somehow. This gives a more comfortable ride but I don't think there's any kind of weight daving over tubed tyres as you have to fill the tubeless tyre with gel which fills any puncture holes when you get them. They've been available in the MTB world for about 10 years but there is a clear advantage to running lower pressures on an offroad bike as it gives better grip in mud etc. Also when you do get punctures in tubeless apparently they're a real PITA to sort out....

If you simply want to reduce flats go for something like Armadillo tyres, Gatorskins or even Marathon Plus
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jae-so
    yeh I get you, the more I read the more I think the Shwalbe Durano Plus tires are the way to go, anyone know how they compare to gatorskins or armadillos, these are the duranos http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-11-44381

EDIT: will look into the Marathon Plus as well as they look even more resistant, not sure my bike can take wider than 23s tho
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    My experience is started with Marathon plus, no punctures but horrible firm slow ride, switched to Aradillos, bloody harsh ride and slippery when wet. Then tried Rubino pros and lovely soft ride but then a few punctures after couple thousand miles scared me and prompted me to go wuth Durano plus's and i found them slow in comparison and ever so unexciting to ride so i am now back with the Rubino's and couldn't be happier.Rubino pros.Just over 1000 miles and no visits yet. If nothing else they are a dammed sight easier to get off and then on a rim if you do get a puncture-something that should not be discounted. I have Gators on my other bike and have tried them on my road bike but they do seem slower and duller to me but no visits either.

The Rubino's are a really good compromise tyre and others here have pointed out they are a training tyre for some pro teams.
  • jae-so
    thing is min are Rubino 3s not Pros and I got them hoping they wouldn't really puncture. The grip on them isn't the best so I want something better for punctures and I'll keep these Rubinos for a new bike sometime. If the Duranos offer similar grip and much better puncture protection I'd call that a win, I don't do much else besides riding to work so not too bothered about going really fast
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Tubeless on an MTB means you can run lower pressure without risk of pinch flats. On the road, you don't want to be running lower pressures.

You can get inner tubes filled with gloop that seals small punctures. I tried them briefly before deciding that they were much more hassle than they were worth.

I've had Gatorskins on my bike for the last 18 months, with two punctures in over 6k miles. The rear finally fell apart a couple of weeks ago.

I find that the best approach is to accept that you can't prevent punctures entirely, and to be well prepared for fixing them.
  • jae-so
    Yeh I will accept that they will happen sometimes but want to minimise it, especially with UK weather, Duranos look like the best option to minimise this