New bike, slight rubbing on disc brake

K.Rothery
K.Rothery Posts: 11
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
Hey, I've just moved to a beautiful area in the countryside so want to make most of the area with some gentle mountain biking through the woodland etc, with the possibility of getting a bit more advanced when I'm comfortable. After a bit of research I bought a mongoose tyax elite 2011, it was ex display so I got it at a brilliant price. However I received it today and after putting it together on the front wheel there is a very slight rub at one point on the disc brake, and if you turn the bike upside down and rotate the wheel you can see it doesn't rotate in a straight line, it's only very slight, but is the a cause for concern? Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If it spins about 10 times when up side down from a hard spin it is fine.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just ride it and let everything bed in, then adjust as necessary. It should be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    is it the rotor or the caliper? my mate had a problem like this the bike was put together by him and looked fine he thought the disc rotor or the spokes hitting the caliper it turned out that the adapter that fits the caliper to the forks was slightly to far over had about 0.5 to 1mm play and the rotor was rubbing on the bottem part of the caliper as the adapter was slighty out lol FAIL!
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • K.Rothery
    I think the problem is the front wheel has a very minor buckle so on rotating the wheel the disc just touches and slightly rubs at one point. Sorry, I am a complete novice so am not very technically minded :/
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    A Buckle will have no effect. The disc may have a slight warp. But I would not worry as it will be doing nothing to the performance.

If you have to do something and it is only rubbing on one side you could re align the caliper and bed the brakes in again.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • K.Rothery
    Ok, thanks for the advice, it has put me at ease :)
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    The wheel (ie the rim) and the disc being buckled are 2 different things.

To re-align the caliper, turn the bike upside down. Loosen the 2 allen bolts on the caliper and spin the wheel (you will prob see the caliper move a little from side-to-side as it follows the warp in the disc). Gently apply the brake lever. Then caliper is now centred over the disc - tighten the bolts while keeping the lever held down (elastic band can help with the lever if you feel like you need a spare hand). Spin wheel again - it should spin freely.

If the warp is severe you can get the disc straightened, but by the sounds of it it isn't that bad. You may however have to centre the caliper by eye to get the least rub with it touching both sides if it is pretty warped.
  • K.Rothery
    Ah ok that makes sense, cheers. Yeah it doesn't effect the actually movement of the wheel it just makes a faint noise at the one spot so I presume it is only minor, I will have a go at adjusting the calliper tomorrow. Thanks