Position of the rear shock

Matt_as
Matt_as Posts: 84
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Is it a bad idea to buy a bike where the rear shock is down in front of the rear wheel behind what I would call the seat tube (even though it isn't). Most bikes I have seen with the shock low down like that have the shock within the frame and infront of the tube but some bikes such as Cubes seem to have it behind where it will collect all the crap that flies off the rear wheel.

Thanks
Matt

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    seals are pretty good these days, I'd buy a bike on the way it rides and not worry too much about the shock collecting crap. But it would be a good idea to add some kind of defensive layer. I use an inner tube pulled up over the shock stanchion and lipped over the outer can. Leave the bottom of the tube open so it drains if anything goes up into the tube. (only works if the shock is mounted can-end up.)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    IIRC the original enduro came with the shock mounted in that sort of position and you could buy a mud guard type thing to deflect the worst of the sh*t but it never seemed to create huge problems for users. My mates survived many chiltern mud fests with no ill effects - things can only have approved since then.

There are some bikes you look at and think - that was designed by someone who lives in a desert - though. :lol:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'd be more worried about stone flicking off the tyre and chipping the stanchion on the shock. They're usually fine as long as you have some sort of mud guard.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5