Couple of questions

Azhar
Azhar Posts: 247
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
Hey peeps.

I had just a couple of questions that I needed an opinion on.

1) has anyone bought just the prescription insert (glasses), from kontrolsports.co.uk, and then just applied them to which ever sunglasses you have or is it just better to get lens that are actually prescribed for your eyes from vision express, for example, as they have some sunglasses that I have seen that are suitable for cycling? Anyone know, apart from kontrolsports and optilabs for cheap prescription sunglasses? 8)

2) since I been commuting and cycling a lot more I look forward to the hills the most. I haven't had to get off the Bike once and look forward the physical psychological challenge. Does anyone have a polka dot jersey they were most of the time? I'm slow on hills, so I'm not great, so would it look silly to have a polka dot jersey if I'm slow at hills?

Thanks for any input you peeps can give me.

(4 questions :roll: )

Comments

• Azhar
    Forgot to add that I quite like the look of the polka dot jersey more than the other team kit jerseys and the other classifications that are available to buy
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    You are asking to be teased by other cyclists if they over take on a hill with that jersey on but then again it's a conversation starter, if you are up to converstaion at that point!

I had my eyes lasered and I've never looked back since...so to speak. In the past I just used regular perscrition sunglasses with an anti fog coating which any optician can apply. Worked OK plus you can use them off the bike.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ariba
    ariba Posts: 48
    Azhar wrote:
    Hey peeps.

I had just a couple of questions that I needed an opinion on.

1) has anyone bought just the prescription insert (glasses), from kontrolsports.co.uk, and then just applied them to which ever sunglasses you have or is it just better to get lens that are actually prescribed for your eyes from vision express, for example, as they have some sunglasses that I have seen that are suitable for cycling? Anyone know, apart from kontrolsports and optilabs for cheap prescription sunglasses? 8)

2) since I been commuting and cycling a lot more I look forward to the hills the most. I haven't had to get off the Bike once and look forward the physical psychological challenge. Does anyone have a polka dot jersey they were most of the time? I'm slow on hills, so I'm not great, so would it look silly to have a polka dot jersey if I'm slow at hills?

Thanks for any input you peeps can give me.

(4 questions :roll: )

i bought some from kontrol sports a couple of years ago & then rocked up to spec savers when they were doing a buy one pair, get one free deal, and asked them to put the extra set in the insert, rather than their frames. They were fine with that.

Comparing the Kontrol sports with my wife's DHBs, (non-perscription) you only get one set of lenses, but they have been fine for me. (The DHBs came with a clear, a yellow and another one for different conditions.) The insert does put the lenses quite close to your eyes, but you'll get used to it. Because of the curvature of the glasses, the prescription lens won't give you the peripheral vision you'd get from a normal pair of glasses.

The insert pops in & out for cleaning easily also. I wasn't sure how comfortable these would be, but didn't mind paying the £25~£35 to try it out, (as opposed to the best part of 100 notes for the Adidas).

I've been happy with them, they are fine for me, and TBH, the number of days I've really *needed* sunglasses this year has been pitifully few :)
    --

Battaglin C13 (white)
    Cube Analog (green/white)
    Decathlon 7.3 (yellow)
    Pinnacle Arkose 3 (grey)
    Looking for bike n+1
  • I think that if a yellow polka dot shirt is what you want then you should get it... Personally I use some crappy old base layer shirts and whatever track suit bottoms / shorts I pick out first as I don't see why something like the colour of my shirt actually matters, but out of interest - I can't decide what colour socks to wear tomorrow - any chance you could hold my hand and choose for me?
  • Azhar
    I think that if a yellow polka dot shirt is what you want then you should get it... Personally I use some crappy old base layer shirts and whatever track suit bottoms / shorts I pick out first as I don't see why something like the colour of my shirt actually matters, but out of interest - I can't decide what colour socks to wear tomorrow - any chance you could hold my hand and choose for me?

jeez. i was only looking for some advice/opinions. but i suppose, in this forum, this is what one has to put up with when either starting a new topic or contributing to a post when someone else wants advice.
  • Azhar wrote:
    I think that if a yellow polka dot shirt is what you want then you should get it... Personally I use some crappy old base layer shirts and whatever track suit bottoms / shorts I pick out first as I don't see why something like the colour of my shirt actually matters, but out of interest - I can't decide what colour socks to wear tomorrow - any chance you could hold my hand and choose for me?

jeez. i was only looking for some advice/opinions. but i suppose, in this forum, this is what one has to put up with when either starting a new topic or contributing to a post when someone else wants advice.

you asked about the colour of a shirt you are thinking of getting.. man up.. ride your bike.. don't worry about your shirt
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Gizmo_ wrote:

Nice link - I haven't seen that. Made me realise why other roadies don't speak to me - coloured shorts, mixing different team kits, (small) saddle bag, (small) frame mounted pump & unshaved legs. Oh well...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I'd skip the polka dot jersey if I were you. I'd just get a nice wicking cycling specific jersey. how about the shutt ones if you fancy treating yourself?

I've got some kontrolsports and got the inserts with three pairs of glasses with different lenses in a bundle. Very pleased with them.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Gizmo_ wrote:

that's just fantastic!!!!!
  • Azhar
    Jeepie wrote:
    I'd skip the polka dot jersey if I were you. I'd just get a nice wicking cycling specific jersey. how about the shutt ones if you fancy treating yourself?

I've got some kontrolsports and got the inserts with three pairs of glasses with different lenses in a bundle. Very pleased with them.

Hi jeepie. The earlier post mentions that it affects your peripheral vision. i take it thats never bothered you has it?? i'm thinking i might take the plunge and get a pair and see how it goes. they;'re not too expensive compared to get something from optilabs.co.uk (i think it was)
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Actually it is noticeable but you can deal with it if you turn your head fully and lean down and round so that actually your face is looking directly to the rear

Like this > http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachm ... k-med2.jpg

.... For me the price was right as I wear contacts most of the time.