On-One Scandal 29er

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a fast XC bike to replace my current long travel HT (456c) and fancy trying a 29er. Am after any feedback from owners of the scandal 29er

Comments

• pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I've got the mk 1 version, it was my 1st 29er - for the money I don't think you will do much better, light & responsive its my regular ride, I still race it on occasion too.

I have heard people say the ride is a bit harsh, I haven't really noticed it to be that bad, I run a tubeless setup and spend time dialing the fork and tyre pressures which I think help a lot.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Mines certainly not harsh, I had a Stumpjumper HT prior to this, THAT was harsh!

Fantastic bike though, both with a rigid 80mm carbon fork and a 100mm Reba. Very light, well put together, ample clearance. I've got one of the old versions as well, it's looking pretty battered but I'm still worried that I won't get on with the shorter stays in the new ones :)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Toasty wrote:
    with a rigid 80mm carbon fork
    :? Am I missing something? I'm confused!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I had one, very harsh ride compared to my carbon one, but it is extremely light and manoverable and great value for money.
    my advise would be dont get a painted one, get an anodised one as their paint is shocking.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    bails87 wrote:
    Toasty wrote:
    with a rigid 80mm carbon fork
    :? Am I missing something? I'm confused!

Just like these fellas :wink:

small_wheel_bike.jpg
  • toasty
    Am I missing something? I'm confused!

The frame was primarily built for 80mm forks, the standard OO carbon forks have a 470mm A-C which is the equiv of an 80mm suspension fork.

The point being that 100mm Rebas (506mm A-C) slacken it out slightly from it's quoted geometry. Not sure if the same applies for the new ones.

The carbon rigids are lovely actually, worth trying out, definitely viable for pootling around trail centers and things. Did MM rigid last year and it was awesome, climbing was fantastic. Wish I'd taken them this year to be honest. Quick 2 pound drop from the Rebas, and the OO forks are pretty heavy as far as carbon forks go. Takes a few weeks to get used to though.
    my advise would be dont get a painted one, get an anodised one as their paint is shocking.

Same paint as they use on M&Ms I think! :P Anodized or raw both look good, can't complain for £200ish though, seen frames 5x the price with worse paint.
  • kenan
    Thanks for the replys, sounding good. Like the look of the raw frame as have had painted on-one bikes before ;)

Toasty, how do you find the rebas? was looking like a good choice for the build.

Also do you guys find the bike to be capable do you find the scandal? would it cope with red rated trails?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I did Afan on it and it was awesome on the way up, just harsh on the way down but still better than a 26ht
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • toasty
    Yeah, the Rebas are perfect for it really, even more so a tapered set in the new ones I guess.

Might not find mine harsh as I'm riding the 21" version, I'm not sure. As above though, even a stiff 29er frame is going to feel a bit softer due to the big wheels and tyres.
  • kenan
    I was going to avoid a tapered set of forks so I could change the head angle with an angleset if required.