When and What to eat, to replace calories burned ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Hi guys.

Right I have a nutrition question for those in the know please.

My confusion is this...

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, I train at the moment for weight loss and conditioning, I'm pretty satisfied with my muscle mass right now.

Diet wise I am consuming 1,500 calories per day which is about 450 deficit to take care of the weight loss and its working a treat.

However .. when I throw cycling into the mix and I go out and burn 1,700 calories how am I supposed to get this additional calories burned covered ?

If I am already eating 6 small meals, 1 every 2.5hours how can I then supplement my diet to compensate for the additional 1,700 calrories burned without it effecting my training or making me overtrain or completley crashing ?

As I say the gym side of things and diet I am spot on with, but I am not sure how I should address the calories burned when cycling, would I consume a carb drink before, would something simple like that take care of it ? a drink ? or a bowl of oats a few hours prior to cycle training ?

Any tips on how I can supplement my current diet to allow me to compensate for the additional calories burned would be very helpful.

Cheers.

Matt :)

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Exactly the same as you would at the gym... perhaps a carb drink during, lean protein afterwards. Don't over estimate how much you're burning though, most computers that give a calorie reading over estimate it by a hell of a lot.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I'd say you should be eating double what you are doing right now.

You're expecting to be able to do the gym 5 times per week plus cycling, on 1500cals per day? Not a chance, especially for someone your size (i've seen the gunz pics)
  • Anonymous
    Cheers njee.

So basically then I just need to carb up a few hours before I go on a ride and hit the protein when I get in to aid recovery.

Rather than a carb drink I wonder if a banana or nuts while on the fly would be a good alternative?

If I was bulking sty then yes mate I agree, I think I'm one of those ectomorphs where I only have to look at a slice of bread and I put 2lbs on :(

I do tend to hit it a bit extreme, I lost 9lbs in 11 days recently, sure it won't all be lard but when I put me mind to it I can make a certain weight, as always ya get outta it what ya put in.

I never lose any mass when I diet which is good and yeah I know 1500 cals isn't nowhere near enough to cycle on top of hence askin this Q in first place, just need to find a way to supplement me cyclin.

I intend to do this 4 mile loop of a local woodland, it starts with a mile uphill in thick sand and the rest is a killer too, wanna work me way up to 4 laps 3 times a week see if that gets me fitter.

As for the other post, er ... doseage ? Lol maybe you just want me to click the link in your sig ;)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    njee20 wrote:
    Don't over estimate how much you're burning though, most computers that give a calorie reading over estimate it by a hell of a lot.
    ^^ this

A 200lb person uses 700-800 calories an hour proppa MTBing not riding round fireroads/towpaths etc. The TdF dudes use over 1000 calories/hour
  • njee20
    Nah, won't be that much, that's what I mean :-)

For the most part they're not working all that hard, 700 an hour at most I'd say. More for those in any breakaways, less in the bunch.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    njee20 wrote:
    Nah, won't be that much, that's what I mean :-)

For the most part they're not working all that hard, 700 an hour at most I'd say. More for those in any breakaways, less in the bunch.
    The TDF guys are super-fit/ondrugs/all-of-the-above as well though.
    Doesn't a fit person use less calories to do the same thing as an unfit person? And a heavier set person uses more?
  • njee20
    Yep, so the heavier Tour riders will use more.
  • styxd
    Doesn't a fit person use less calories to do the same thing as an unfit person? And a heavier set person uses more?

I'd imagine so. But they arent doing the same thing are they? An unfit person cant ride as fast/produce as much power as a fit person.
  • njee20
    edited July 2012
    Not quite true, a heavier person will produce more power than an equivalently fit lighter person, their power:weight is lower though.
  • styxd
    I never said otherwise!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    styxd wrote:

I'd imagine so. But they arent doing the same thing are they? An unfit person cant ride as fast/produce as much power as a fit person.
    But if the two were to be riding along side by side, the fit person would be burning less energy.
    Fit people don;t have to ride everywhere as fast as their little legs will cary them you know :lol:
  • styxd
    I know!

But in terms of the TDF guys, an unfit person wouldnt be able to keep up.

I thik if you ride as hard as you can, regardless of fitness, you wont go far wrong.
  • njee20
    I never said otherwise!

Not as such, but you inferred power output was linked to fitness, which technically isn't the whole truth.
  • styxd
    ah, but you said
    a heavier person will produce more power than an equivalently fit lighter person,

which isnt technically the whole truth. What if they're weak and fat? They'll still be heavy, but not very powerful.
  • njee20
    Then they're not equivalently fit...
  • styxd
    Who said they were?
  • njee20
    What?

You said:
    An unfit person cant ride as fast/produce as much power as a fit person.

That's not the whole truth, because weight is a factor if we're talking pure power output.

I said:
    a heavier person will produce more power than an equivalently fit lighter person,

Ie if you have 2 people who can ride a 25 minute 10 mile TT, one who is 60kg and one who is 100kg, the heavier one has a higher power output. Their W/kg is the same. Ignoring aerodynamics, rolling resistance etc.
  • styxd
    You got a cheeky edit in!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Oh man. I love threads like this. Especially when I'm only a bystander :lol:
  • styxd
    :lol:
  • njee20
    Who did?

I added "Quite" into "that's not quite true", but nothing else, that post always said "equivalently fit".
  • Anonymous
    Hey guys.

Been out tonight with some mates, busted out a 20 miler XC, those buggers only did half that cos they drove their bikes to the pines whereas I rode there and back.

I ate pasta before I went, went balls out for 20 miles, burned according to endomondo 2,432 cals, am not hungry tho or owt, I just now had a protein bar and am gonna have another pint of water.

60 miles xc in 4 days, am startin to ramp it up, but today I dont have the hunger craving, wanna shove anything into me gob sensation that I usually get, so eating few hours prior to going out has helped me today.

Still I find that the lighter riders are smokin my ass :( well not smoking but I am putting in 100% effort to do what there doing with 60% effort and there still walking away from me dispite being on a bike 5kg lighter than theirs :(

Even though my bike is 3.5kg lighter now than before, I still cant match my fastest lap I set when my bike was 3.5kg heavier but I was a stone and half lighter then, so as folks say, bodyweight is much more of a performance factor than a light bike, my bike while light is useless in my hands "at the moment", but I should be a formidable opponent when I drop back into the low 14's again.

Ahh well I gotta do sommat to keep me outta trouble :lol:
  • njee20
    Imagine how quick you'd be if you got properly light ;-)

2400 for 20 flat miles sounds like a massive overestimation to me, I'd say 2/3 that is more likely
  • YeehaaMcgee
    njee20 wrote:
    If I was as light as you, and as fit as you, with the same bike as you, I reckon I'd be as fast as you :lol:

Although I reckon I might look malnourished at 11 stone in reality.
  • Anonymous
    Yep, looks like bye bye muscle mass, and hello bones and ribcage to train to be the ultimate :lol::lol:

I agree on the cals burned too, on the cross trainer at the gym if I really give it the beans I can do 205 cals in 20 mins, yet Endo says its just 167, which do you believe ? are either really important ? I guess as long as one makes progress and has fun doing it then thats all that matters.

I think endo clocks up cals burning even when your freewheeling down hills, so maybe 40/50% of that is probable.

They say a man thinks about sex every 7 seconds, ... yet all I can think about is where I can go out next lol.
  • Anonymous
    I'm a bit worried about that too YeehaaMcgee, I dont wanna be all skinny and drawn, I'd have teenagers pushin me about, a man should be a mans weight I recon lol.

Still 13-14 stone I dont think its a bad weight to be layin down some good times esp if ya out regular and train for endurance and power, at least am hoping thats the case.
  • Anonymous
    Imagine how fast this guy could go :o

balejuice1.jpg

It does make you wonder where the sport is going though doesnt it ? I mean bikes are already down to silly light weight, they cant keep getting lighter surely, neither can the riders ?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    I'm a bit worried about that too YeehaaMcgee, I dont wanna be all skinny and drawn, I'd have teenagers pushin me about, a man should be a mans weight I recon lol.

Still 13-14 stone I dont think its a bad weight to be layin down some good times esp if ya out regular and train for endurance and power, at least am hoping thats the case.
    At the moment I'm 15st 10lbs and don't have much of a belly. But I've been really broad ever since my teens, so even at a height of 5'10" I reckon 13 would be a genuinely sensible "ideal weight" target.
    I mean, hell, I have calves as big as some people's heads, and there's not an ounce of fat on my legs.
  • njee20
    Although I reckon I might look malnourished at 11 stone in reality.

I reckon anorexia-chic is quite fetching myself! Nowt wrong with a bit of rib cage!
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    njee20 wrote:

2400 for 20 flat miles sounds like a massive overestimation to me, I'd say 2/3 that is more likely

I'm 140lb and I reckon I do approx 500-600 cals/hr riding offroad say 'medium effort', found this calculator ...don't think it's hugely accurate - but it roughly agrees with what I guesstimated.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/caloriesactburned.html
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer