Giant Bikes 2013

Cannock Chase
Cannock Chase Posts: 558
edited August 2012 in Road general
Hello. Haven't been here for quite a while.
Looking to buy a Giant Defy 1 road bike from my local bike shop. He will have to order one in as he hasn't got one in stock. Unfortunately it seems no more 2012 models are being imported so I've got to wait until the 2013 range comes out. Unless I buy from a different retailer which I don't want to do. Scouting forums it seems that Giant usually announce next years models in August/September. However many bike shops in Australia appear to be selling Giant 2013 models now. Now I know the time in Australia is in front of us by a few hours, but not a couple of months! Is this normal for Australia for example to have next years models way before us, or are they perhaps advertising something they haven't yet got?
I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
Trek Madone - Carbon

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Not sure what that's about!?!? How come they get them is Aus before they're even announced?

I googled the 2013 Defy out of curiosity as I've got the 2012 Defy 1 (you should have got it in January like me!) and it looks exactly the same as the 2012 model.. except in red not blue.

Perhaps its a case of the Aussies getting the 2012 models a year later than us? labelled as the 2013 models?
  • Thanks for the reply. It's going to be a retirement present for myself for when I retire in August. I had hoped to have bought it and the shop keep it for me until my retirement day. Bit silly I know but something to look forward to. Buying a next years model is no real problem as long as the spec is as good as this years. As you say the only difference appears to be the colour. I would have expected some differences even if minor. It just means that with the announcment and delay in importing I probably wouldn't get it until September or even October.

You may have a point regarding the Aussies getting theirs a year late.
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Cant you just buy from a different shop that still has stock?
  • Yes I could. However my local bike shop is only a mile away and I've dealt with them for more years than I care to remember. Their service and knowledge is excellent. Advice is always freely given with no pressure at all to buy :D
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Boabie38
    Boabie38 Posts: 27
    Had a google myself.....thats the same paint job as my 2012 TCR. Looks like they might just be swapping the paint around models. In saying that some of the Giant 2013 Hybrid models have hit the UK market.
  • Had a look at the full specification for the 2013 Defy 1 advertised on Australian websites and apart from the colour where red replaces blue, everything appears identical to the 2012 models for sale in the UK. Now I firmly believe in the saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but apart from colour surely Giant would make some changes to next years models even if minor. It's leading me to the conclusion that the Australian 2013 bike is the UK's 2012 bike but in a slightly different colour.
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Beware of the differences in spec between UK and Australian bikes; we've got a Giant Trance X1 that we bought in Australia, but it has quite a different spec to the UK one with mechs, front fork and something else... mind, we did get it a fair bit less than the UK spec one, just with a bit more of a mix and match component mix rather than the UK preference for one groupset throughout.
    1999 Cannondale F700SL; pretty stock
    2000 Kona Kiluea; HomeBrew Special/Bitsa