Cycle lane enforcement times

unclejimbo1983
unclejimbo1983 Posts: 50
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Apologies if this has been covered before - I tried searching the forum but my lack of proper terminology is letting me down!

I had a "brief exchange" this evening (about ten past seven) with a white van driver who was driving down the cycle lane on Grosvenor Road westbound.

Horrifically long streetview link here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Grosven ... 7,,0,15.12

He wasn't just edging into it, he was filtering down the left of the queued traffic and inevitably caught up with a pootling cyclist ahead and blocked the whole lane for all following cyclists. During our battle of Wildeian wit he pointed out a signpost with a sign showing a cycle lane symbol followed by "7am - 7pm". I'm rather embarrassed to say I'd never noticed it before and appear to have been outwitted by a white van driver!

My question is this: Does the sign mean what I think it does? I.e. "After 7pm, please feel free to cross the solid white line and use the cycle lane as a car lane, even if there are cyclists in it"?

If so, my follow up question is - What inspired TFL to put this time limit on the lane anyway? Surely cyclists traveling in the evening need more protection from traffic, not less. I'm struggling to picture a time of day when the roads are chocka with cars, but not cyclists, and giving up cycle safety for traffic volume can be justified. It just seems like a recipe for disaster!

Can anyone enlighten me?

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Apologies if this has been covered before - I tried searching the forum but my lack of proper terminology is letting me down!

I had a "brief exchange" this evening (about ten past seven) with a white van driver who was driving down the cycle lane on Grosvenor Road westbound.

Horrifically long streetview link here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Grosven ... 7,,0,15.12

He wasn't just edging into it, he was filtering down the left of the queued traffic and inevitably caught up with a pootling cyclist ahead and blocked the whole lane for all following cyclists. During our battle of Wildeian wit he pointed out a signpost with a sign showing a cycle lane symbol followed by "7am - 7pm". I'm rather embarrassed to say I'd never noticed it before and appear to have been outwitted by a white van driver!

My question is this: Does the sign mean what I think it does? I.e. "After 7pm, please feel free to cross the solid white line and use the cycle lane as a car lane, even if there are cyclists in it"?

If so, my follow up question is - What inspired TFL to put this time limit on the lane anyway? Surely cyclists traveling in the evening need more protection from traffic, not less. I'm struggling to picture a time of day when the roads are chocka with cars, but not cyclists, and giving up cycle safety for traffic volume can be justified. It just seems like a recipe for disaster!

Can anyone enlighten me?

yes the sign means what you think it does, sorry!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Looking at the streetview, it's one of Boris' superhighways. The sign further down does indeed say that other vehicles can use the cycle lane after 7pm.

Sounds daft to have a time limited superhighway, maybe write to TfL and ask what they're playing at an explain how the van driver held you up.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Always thought that was an utter joke - even before I took up cycling.

I don't understand why you'd even consider opening it up at less busy times, it actually cost them money to put up those signs and confuse people.

Idiots...
  • Yeah, may have to vent my frustration at TFL, although I don't hold out much hope of altering such a widespread policy. I suspect the dreaded traffic smoothing may be given as justification.

I guess I'll also have to get a bit fitter to make sure I get to chelsea bridge before 7!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    As far as I'm aware, unless a cycle lane it's bordered by a thick white line it's advisory anyway so motorists and motorcycles have the right to stray into it whenever they like... they're totally unenforceable and that goes for cycle superhighways too
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    As far as I'm aware, unless a cycle lane it's bordered by a thick white line it's advisory anyway so motorists and motorcycles have the right to stray into it whenever they like... they're totally unenforceable and that goes for cycle superhighways too

Think that's right (solid whit line). Daft thing is that where there were two car lanes (eg Embankment) there's now a CS that's narrower than a lane and a car lane that's wider. It's basically impossible for cars to use the CS out of hours without risking clipping the nearside of cars not using it. Makes it a bit pointless imposing limited hours of use in the first place.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes, we have some here, no cars 7-7
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    Greg66 wrote:

Think that's right (solid whit line). Daft thing is that where there were two car lanes (eg Embankment) there's now a CS that's narrower than a lane and a car lane that's wider. It's basically impossible for cars to use the CS out of hours without risking clipping the nearside of cars not using it. Makes it a bit pointless imposing limited hours of use in the first place.

This. I cannot work out the logic of that time limit. I watched a car try it a few weeks back and get properly stuck as the lane narrowed.

There are similar time limits on a lot of bus lanes, but they are all different, so most stay out altogether leaving the lanes free (except for buses and a few cyclists) for nutters in BMWs to blast down the inside of the slower traffic and cut in at the lights.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Reclaim the lane with some blue sticky tape.

Not that I'm advocating doing anything naughty, or anything.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    7pm's hardly a long way out of rush hour either, particularly in London. I've seen several taxis who try this on to undertake traffic away from Vauxhall Bridge lights.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"