Shimano going to 11 speed

kernel_gadaffi
kernel_gadaffi Posts: 121
edited July 2012 in Road general
I've been reliably informed that Shimano are going to 11 speed later this year or early next year, even when they insisted that they wouldn't, there must be money in it.
Cube Peloton Pro.
Genesis Core 30.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Sauce :?:
  • Defyand
    Defyand Posts: 49
    Brown sauce for me :D
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    I understood this was for Dura-Ace only. I wouldn't expect 10 speed to be phased out any time soon.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I wouldn't expect 10 speed to be phased out any time soon.
    I'm still running Shimano 7 speed on one of my bikes and can buy replacement parts for it, so I agree it will be some time before 10 Speed goes.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Its a well known fact that people who buy expensive bikes are largely gullible idiots who think more = better in every case. Thus, bike part manufacturers cater to that. Nothing to see here
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Its a well known fact that people who buy expensive bikes are largely gullible idiots who think more = better in every case. Thus, bike part manufacturers cater to that. Nothing to see here

More sprockets always come with more problems. Groupsets were trouble free up to 8 speed, relatively Ok with 9 speed and started being seriously a pain in the axxe with 10 speed. 11 speed Campagnolo is more often than not out of "tune" and I expect Shimano to be no better, especially as they do typically use closer spacings than Campagnolo does. Narrower chains break easily, to the point that quick links were invented to fix them... while 8 speed broken chains were almost unheard of. In essence, there is no advantage whatsoever in "upgrading" to a system with more sprockets, only drawbacks.

Personally I find my 13-14-16-18-20-23 six speed freewheel perfect, both in terms of gear availability and in terms of ratio spacings.
    left the forum March 2023