Front disc brake advice (for a noob)

Quibble8
Quibble8 Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ok - quick an easy question - what disc brake do I want!!!! :roll:

Probably should give a little more info!! I'm building up a retro bike and currently have XTR V-brakes on it (which are really quite good). However, the fork I now have (one of the good pace forks!!) has a disk mount so I'm thinking about moving to a disc up front and my trusty XTR V Brake out back.

I currently ride XC and am looking for something with decent power but preferably fairly simple to install / maintain (I'm a disc brake noob but am more than capable of rebuilding a bike) as well as being reasonably light (I know my V brakes will be lighter but I'm hoping to have better / more constant stopping power in all conditions).

Budget - doesn't matter too much (ish) - thinking up to about £150 (for the brake and disc) (only need to one!!). Not proud so happy to look at either new or secondhand.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    First things.

Is you wheel disc read?

If yes what fitting. Spline or 6 bolt fitting?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Quibble8
    Quibble8 Posts: 3
    I currently have a 6 bolt hub ready to go (just need to build it on too my rim). Is there any benefit to 6-bolt over splined?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope just makes a difference to the rotor you need.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools