107 miles and chuffed

whosthedaddy
whosthedaddy Posts: 136
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
My 18 year old son decided to repeat his ride which he did solo last year on his MTB from Halesowen to Barmouth.
He does it for charity (British Heart Foundation) and has raised several hundred pounds so far
Decided that I couldn't let him do it again on his own this year (concerned parent...)
So I got him a Boardman Hybrid and I accompanied him on my road bike
We set off at 5.45am on Monday and got there just before 4pm.
The weather was drizzly to start, but the last 60 miles was done in pouring rain and was horrendous
Garmin edge said we cycled for 8 hours and climbed just short of 6000 feet at an average of 13mph
I was really concerned that my ageing body (56) wouldn't get me there as I had only started road biking seriously earlier this year and had only ever ridden a max of 50 miles previously .
Chuffed that I completed the 107 miles, but proud of my son for raising this money for charity on his own

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    and so you should be proud thats some effort - well played.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Good effort, especially in such horrible conditions! I don't suppose you have the route posted somewhere that you can link to? I'm in Birmingham and quite fancy a ride across Wales at some point.
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    Awesome
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I wouldn't mind a go at that as well. Are we talking "A" roads or something a little quieter?

Perhaps we can organise something. Maybe best after the holiday season as the roads get very busy.
  • Defyand
    Defyand Posts: 49
    Well done
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Good effort and well done to you both!
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • whosthedaddy
    Halesowen to Bridgnorth to Much Wenlock to Shrewsbury to Welshpool to Dolgellau to Barmouth
    Mainly "A" roads, traffic wasn't bad and didn't have any issues with any cars/lorries.
    Bypassed the A5 as I felt it was too dangerous, there is a border for cyclists but it looked full of debris when we went down to drop the car off the day before. Didn't think my tyres would last long and the volume of traffic is just too much for me to consider safe.
    Go into Shrewsbury and hook up with the A458 that takes you to Welshpool.
    There are cycle paths in Shrewsbury you can use and this helps you bypass the traffic jams
    Some wicked downhills on the way, that would be a joy to go down if dry and one massive climb before Dolgellau
    Think it's called Dinas Mawddwy, I think you would have to be super fit to get up there in one go. It's one beast of a hill.
    Get to the top and it's a lovely ride down from there to Barmouth.
    It was just a pity that the weather was so bad, but would do it again in hopefully better weather.
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Phil
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I know the big hill very well, although only from driving it in the car. A lot of people refer to it as Dinas as that's the village that the A470 passes by before it. The name of the pass is Bwlch Oerddrws. Always fancied riding up it but never done so.

Maybe, in September, if there were a few people interested we could organise a ride. Just a thought.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Impressive, well done!
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    Even setting out on a 107 mile journey, when you've only done 50 miles deserves a round of applause, actually completing it is standing ovation time!

And for those who don't know, Much Wenlock, Bridgnorth area (their first 25 odd miles) is scenic but lumpy, one short but steep nasty little hill after another and the road surfaces are tooth rattlingly bad. The sort of place that destroys anyones average speed.
  • whosthedaddy
    Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments.
    Just got back from a 3 day break in Newquay
    Weather permitting, will be back on bike tomorrow or monday