Helmets with Peaks

2»

Comments

• cheers for the opinions guys. i must say reading through the posts has just made me smile at work. haha
    I can ride my bike with no handlebars...no handlebars... no handlebars
    and i can split the atom of a molecule... of a molecule... of a molecule
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    edited July 2012
    I find peaks pointless on helmets personally and generally ride without one.
    1). It doesn't stop anything hitting my eyes, apart from sun maybe. I use a mud flap on the fork and don't look down sharply enough for a little peak to do much anyhow (you're supposed to look far down the trail after all...). Can't say the sun bothers me as I use photochromic lenses if I know I'm going to be out in the sun from time to time.
    2). I've had a peak deflect a branch down into my face so although I'm sure there's as much chance it could deflect it over I don't buy it as an argument for using peaks
    3). There's a few posts around about riders that have face-planted and the peak has detached and gone up into their face causing a nasty wound. Rare occurrence ofc but I'd say more likely to happen than a fragile little peak on an XC lid actually helping in a crash.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Welcome to the party. But it's kind of over.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    nferrar wrote:
    1)... I use a mud flap on the fork and don't look don't sharply enough for a little peak to do much anyhow (you're supposed to look far down the trail after all...)
    I put that in Google translate, and it crashed my computer. Good effort.

Photocromatic lenses don't do the same job as a visor does when blocking out the sun.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Look Sharp?
    1252.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Ooo apologies I was typing quickly (some of us read the forums at work rather than after school :p ), edited for clarity. My points stand though, IME a peak doesn't do anything useful for me on an MTB, at least XC/AM). I don't go around telling people to take theirs off but some of the posts on here make them sound like they're some vital addition and may even help in a crash (lol).
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I usually remove the peak so I dont look like a mountain biker.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    nferrar wrote:
    Ooo apologies I was typing quickly (some of us read the forums at work rather than after school :p ), edited for clarity. My points stand though, IME a peak doesn't do anything useful for me on an MTB, at least XC/AM). I don't go around telling people to take theirs off but some of the posts on here make them sound like they're some vital addition and may even help in a crash (lol).
    I don't think anyone's claimed they're a vital addition, just that they do have their uses.