Looking for new set of tyres soon

GSJ
GSJ Posts: 150
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I've had my bike since April, and I won't change the tyres yet! but I've been looking..
I've seen some Maxxis Detonators, has anyone had any experience with those? and what does it mean by 'folding tyre'
I don't really want boring black tyre! maybe something with a bit of red ;) but safety > looks as always :P

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Folding tyres are essentially the same (no loss or gain of performance once fitted) but the bead is flexible (normally kevlar)and allows the tyre to fold for posting.

Traditional tyres have a wire bead that keeps the tyre circular and can not be folded.

No experience of Maxxis but there are plenty of options for coloured tyres Schwalbe, Vittori, Michelin etc.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    Folding tyres usually weigh less than an equivalent wire-beaded one as the Kevlar in the bead is lighter than the steel wire. They can also be folded (no surprise there) so that you can easily take a spare tyre with you on a tour.
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    You need to bear in mind that coloured rubber offers less grip than the black variety.
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • GSJ
    xpc316e wrote:
    You need to bear in mind that coloured rubber offers less grip than the black variety.

Hmm! that's interesting...do you know how much less grip? as in would I notice a difference dry/rain or in general?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You should also bear in mind that white tyres:
    1) go grey
    2) are the cycling equivalent of white stilletoes

On that basis best avoided, unless you're from Essex.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    GSJ wrote:
    I've had my bike since April, and I won't change the tyres yet! but I've been looking..
    I've seen some Maxxis Detonators, has anyone had any experience with those? and what does it mean by 'folding tyre'
    I don't really want boring black tyre! maybe something with a bit of red ;) but safety > looks as always :P

On a pair of Vittoria Open Corsas Evo (black - red).. impressed with level of grip and feedback on these when cornering hard.
  • 20eyes
    20eyes Posts: 25
    I have just changed to a set of Vittoria Rubino Pro's, from the stock tyres my bike came with.

I cannot believe the difference, much more feel and grip. I wish I had done it sooner.

With regard to the Detonators, the guy at my LBS recommended them, but I didnt find great reviews online, and being reletively new to road cycling I didnt want to take any chances. The Vittorias had excellent reviews.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    20eyes wrote:
    I have just changed to a set of Vittoria Rubino Pro's, from the stock tyres my bike came with.

I cannot believe the difference, much more feel and grip. I wish I had done it sooner.

My Rubino Pros also survived commuting on rough lanes through a Cornish winter without a single puncture. More recently, I went into the side of a car at 20mph. The front wheel buckled, and the frame was bent, but the tyre was still pumped up to 110psi after the crash. I don't think I'll ever use different tyres.
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    +1 for the Vittoria Rubino Pros, i recently swapped from the stock Specialized tyres on my Allez, as i started getting a lot of punctures. Looked at lots of different tyres and makes, and decided on these in the end due to some great reviews and the price (£25 each on CRC).
    Got to say i'm very happy with them so far (only done about 200 miles on them), and i will probably buy them again when i need to.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • GSJ
    I'm tempted by the Rubino Pros, decent price and fantastic reviews. I have a Carrera Virtuoso ltd which colour tyres would you suggest? :P
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    +1 for the Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick, light, grippy and available in various colours. 1,000+ miles on a pair of the grey ones and they still look fresh and handle as well as mile 1!! (Grey ones look great against silver or black frames especially if your groupo is that Shimano Grey colour!)

Regards, EarlyGo
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    +1 Conti GP4000S
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    GSJ wrote:
    I'm tempted by the Rubino Pros, decent price and fantastic reviews. I have a Carrera Virtuoso ltd which colour tyres would you suggest? :P

I have had Rubino's and Rubino Pro's both seem to be pretty bullet proof (relative to their weight) in terms of actual punctures, at least for the riding I do. Bearing in mind you can get them for about £15 each I cannot imagine using another tyre unless performance is your number 1 consideration.

The Pros save a fair bit of weight (as they are folders) but I would say that putting on a new pair of folding clinchers can be a bit hit and miss in terms of whether they 'clinch' properly - this never seems to happen with wire beads as they are so much more formed to a 700c wheel.
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • Another vote for Rubino Pros. Don't listen to the folks who say black-is-better. You *obviously* need to get a colour that matches your frame for added awesomeness. Even if they're white (like mine - clearly t4tomo has no taste :))
  • smidsy
    Another vote for Rubino Pros. Don't listen to the folks who say black-is-better. You *obviously* need to get a colour that matches your frame for added awesomeness. Even if they're white (like mine - clearly t4tomo has no taste :))

And yours are likely to stay white given the amount of riding you have been doing :shock:

I can vouch for MrB's bike....It's very Essex :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Don't make me kick your ass again Steve. Also, you've gone off topic. Fool.
  • smidsy
    Just got back in from a 30 miler with hills in it so you would deffo woop me. And off topic is my speciality 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    This is my bike.

576663_10150897973524859_161257112_n.jpg

I've just bought a pair of Black/Lime Rubino Pros.

I live in Essex.

:lol:
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012