Why are there no women in F1?

Twelly
Twelly Posts: 1,437
edited July 2012 in The Crudcatcher
Here's why:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-18685789

In all seriousness though, I hope she is ok and makes a full recovery. It has been good to see a couple of woman get testing roles recently, hopefully it won't be long before we see women on the starting grid actually in the cars rather than just waving the boards with numbers on..

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    There was a great programme on BBC4 a couple of nights ago about Group B rallying. That was insane. Michelle Mouton was 2nd in the world rally championship one year. That must be about the highest level a woman has to in modern motorsport.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    From what I've read of the accident this morning the car was to blame, not the driver.

Suzi Woolf is in the DTM this year and Danica Patrick is competing in NASCAR or IRL over in the US.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is also a Woman testing at Wiliams.

and IIRC about 3 ladies have had race seats. but not all got to start a race.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Twelly
    Well aware of all of this, I just thought it ironic that after there has been a lot of talk about women racing drivers lately surrounding the appointment of the two women test drivers at Williams and Marrusia, a women driver goes and stacks a million pound F1 car into a parked truck... I bet sikopedia is having a field day with women driver jokes.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    As this is the crudcatcher and not the hub, I can only assume it's because they are all either buried under my shed (with maddie), or in ditches with their heads backwards.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    My kind of woman........the kind that leaves skid marks on a helmet
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Jutta Kleinschmidt won the Dakar Rally some years back. Isabelle Patissier still competes.

The Simmonite Sisters from Bradford won the French off-road Championship (probably the fastest in Europe).

As said above, Grp B ace Michelle Mouton.

Then there was Louise Aitken-Walker.

Clearly, woman like it dirty.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Clank wrote:
    woman like it dirty.

Said in true caveman style :mrgreen:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,887
    redvee wrote:
    From what I've read of the accident this morning the car was to blame, not the driver.

anti-stall kicked in?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    "Why are there no women in F1?"

because it's really boring
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Gazlar wrote:
    My kind of woman........the kind that leaves skid marks on a helmet

I now have half chewed hairbo stuck to my laptop screen. Cheers Gaz. :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    matthew h wrote:
    redvee wrote:

anti-stall kicked in?

From what I've read, yes. She slowed down to turn into the garage and the ECU upped the throttle to 50% whilst still in gear.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    redvee wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    redvee wrote:

anti-stall kicked in?

From what I've read, yes. She slowed down to turn into the garage and the ECU upped the throttle to 50% whilst still in gear.

She's like Optimus Prime...........he turned into a lorry too
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    ^ :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

but hope she is ok
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-18711127

Poor woman lost her right eye, just goes to show how dangerous it can be even though nobodies been killed since senna. So thats yet another career ended by a crash whilst testing/rallying ala Kubica, still hope he makes a recovery, but considering how good the renault is this year, one has to wonder if he would be leading the championship now had he been there...
  • DodgeT
    Ouch, not nice. Good looking girl too. Not that it wouldn't be bad news if she was ugly, but just saying..
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    lawman wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-18711127

Poor woman lost her right eye, just goes to show how dangerous it can be even though nobodies been killed since senna. So thats yet another career ended by a crash whilst testing/rallying ala Kubica, still hope he makes a recovery, but considering how good the renault is this year, one has to wonder if he would be leading the championship now had he been there...

Kubica's F1 career is about over, I'm reckoning.

However, as Nannini proved, it doesn't mean your racing career is over - he did bloody well with the DTM after having his arm reattached.

Sadly however, I doubt de Villota will be allowed to race again, regardless of her recovery. Bit of a downer to the thread, I know.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • lawman
    yeah it sucks, one of my biggest fears is being injured to an extent I can never ride a bike again, must be a terrible, terrible place to be. thoughts with her and hope she recovers as well as she can.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,887
    lawman wrote:
    yeah it sucks, one of my biggest fears is being injured to an extent I can never ride a bike again, must be a terrible, terrible place to be. thoughts with her and hope she recovers as well as she can.

+ spud
  • Twelly
    Horrible news.

Very sad that she will almost certainly not race competitively again.

I do hope this doesn't spark the closed cockpit debate again though.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I do hope this doesn't spark the closed cockpit debate again though.
    They should be compulsory, definitely. :mrgreen:

Quick question for F1 know-it-alls. Is F1 open cockpit and open wheel for any particular reason, or is it just tradition?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • lawman
    closed cockpits in F1 are just wrong, yes there will be freak accidents, I mean leg breaks like eduardo or ransey don't happen everyday in football, and tackling hasn't been banned there. F1 is dangerous, all motorsprt is dangerous, and these drivers take the risks knowing full well the consequences if something should go wrong. there has been a driver fatality in F1 since Senna and in all honesty F1 is by far imo the safest motorsport around, you only have to look to rallying to see that!

No closed cockpits, but if they do, I hope to high hell it isnt that bloody roll hoop thing they're testing... those stupid noses and roll bars.... no thanks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Very sad that she will almost certainly not race competitively again.
    There's still a chance. FIA rules apparently say you can't get a licence if you've been blind in an eye for less than five years but after that it's subject to their approval following eye tests.
  • Twelly
    Yes but by that time she will be 37, out of practice, half blind and she wasn't the quickest driver in the world before the accident.

So I very much doubt she will race competitively ever again.

Marrusia have a lot of questions to answer...
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    My man in the know tells me that the telemetry suggests that she pressed one of the plethora of buttons that WASN'T neutral and the car pushed on with Maria applying only 'light' braking (enough to gently lock the fronts as she tried to turn away from the awning. In essence, an error down to inexperience.

Still doesn't explain why the tail-lift was where it was. No one will come out of this smelling of roses.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    09-L.jpg

Sabine Schmitz

id let her wear my helmet

there are loads of gals in motorsport!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Twelly
    mudcow007 wrote:
    there are loads of gals in motorsport!

You're right, there are.
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Why are there no women in F1?
  • DodgeT
    I'd love Sabine to take me round the ring :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Peat wrote:
    My man in the know tells me that the telemetry suggests that she pressed one of the plethora of buttons that WASN'T neutral and the car pushed on with Maria applying only 'light' braking (enough to gently lock the fronts as she tried to turn away from the awning. In essence, an error down to inexperience.)
    How do you "gently" lock the front wheels?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    In that if you have rock hard cold demo rubber, a damp surface and a weight transfer to the rear thanks to engine acceleration, it's only take 40% or so pedal pressure to lock the fronts.