Specialized Camber Elite upgrades

alexi1207
alexi1207 Posts: 8
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys,

In the last year I bought myself a Specialized Camber Elite as my first true full susser having been bitten by the Welsh trail center bug. I think it's a great bike but have been belittled by my "Downhill is the only true mountain biking" mate.
I was just wondering what upgrades you guys would recommend to make it more of a versatile machine. I'm not after doing DH runs or hitting massive bomb holes in the local woods I just want to know I can ride most trail centres without breaking it.
I've contemplated some wider bars or maybe even converting to a 2x10 set up but really dont know what's worth my effort or if I should just leave it be and save up for a better rig like one of the Canyon AM rigs.
Sorry for the niaivity but after years of riding around the local woods and parks I want to be able to get out and ride the proper trail centres.

Thanks

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Is there anything actually wrong with it? Anything you don't like?

What is the spec of the bike?

Looking at a general spec this bike should/will handle most things you chuck at it - certainly everything at trail centres. I ride a hardtail round the trail centres I live near in Scotland and never have an issue riding stuff (with exceptions such as Innerleithen DH).

As with all bikes you could spend a fortune, but you need to work out exactly what you want to achieve, otherwise all you'll achieve is spending a load of money for no good reason.

And if your mate actually says that - ignore him, he's a complete tit.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Is there anything actually wrong with it? Anything you don't like?

What is the spec of the bike?

Looking at a general spec this bike should/will handle most things you chuck at it - certainly everything at trail centres. I ride a hardtail round the trail centres I live near in Scotland and never have an issue riding stuff (with exceptions such as Innerleithen DH).

As with all bikes you could spend a fortune, but you need to work out exactly what you want to achieve, otherwise all you'll achieve is spending a load of money for no good reason.

And if your mate actually says that - ignore him, he's a complete tit.
    +1, but regarding upgrade ideas http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-11-42273
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    alexi1207 wrote:
    Hi guys,

In the last year I bought myself a Specialized Camber Elite as my first true full susser having been bitten by the Welsh trail center bug. I think it's a great bike but have been belittled by my "Downhill is the only true mountain biking" mate.
    I was just wondering what upgrades you guys would recommend to make it more of a versatile machine. I'm not after doing DH runs or hitting massive bomb holes in the local woods I just want to know I can ride most trail centres without breaking it.
    I've contemplated some wider bars or maybe even converting to a 2x10 set up but really dont know what's worth my effort or if I should just leave it be and save up for a better rig like one of the Canyon AM rigs.
    Sorry for the niaivity but after years of riding around the local woods and parks I want to be able to get out and ride the proper trail centres.

Thanks

wider bars - yes

converting to 2x10 costs nowt, so if you think you would like that, then go for it

That bike should be able to ride most things. Spend your money on some training so you can do it justice.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    tell you mate to go climb a hill on his bike then come back to you....
    you've a good allrounder that will do most things, change the things that break with shiney bling as and when req :-)
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • alexi1207
    Thanks for all the comments guys. To be honest yes that mate has always been a bit of a tit so fair point there. I Kay widen the bars in due course but she does me proud.
    Again excusing the stupidity where's best to look for advice on a 2x10 conversion as im worried about bashing the rings(insert inuendo here) so may look to removing the outer ring and fitting a bash guard.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Before I changed from 3x9 to 2x10 I rode only using the middle and granny rings to see if I'd miss the big ring - I didn't. So I swapped my Deore triple for an SLX dual/bash

I was bottoming out my 105mm Bomber on a regular basis so changed it to a 120mm Reba - still eat up the travel routinely but 120mm is about max for my frame ('06 Rockhopper)

I put a slightly wider bar on only because I changed the stem from 110mm to 80mm - and I did that because I felt way to far over the front wheel on DH trails and steep, techy descents

I put bigger rotors on because the brakes were over heating big time on long descents

Don't just upgrade for the sake of it.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just remove the big ring, adjust the front mech to blank out the big ring position and fit a bash ring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    I should re-word that...

It seems silly just to upgrade for the sake of it...obviously do whatever you like

Trek Session 8
  • alexi1207
    Thanks again for those. I may look into the bash guard and front mech adjustment option. Just need to find a guard to fit.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    wider bars - yes

converting to 2x10 costs nowt, so if you think you would like that, then go for it

That bike should be able to ride most things. Spend your money on some training so you can do it justice.

Wider bars - maybe! I seem to recall the Camber comes with a reasonable width bar and that may be sufficient for the OP - I personally like my bars a little wider than shoulder width - i find massively wider and I lose feel and comfort and make it awkward to manual the bike.

2x10 setup costs nowt?! that kind of depends whats on their already. If he is currently running 3x9 then 2x10 is a huge cost. so to the OP if you are looking to change from 3x9 to 2x10 I wouldnt bother unless everythign in your drive train is worn out. You can cheaply go to 2x9 and add a bashguard to give the bike a bit of AM toughness, maybe even a chain guide for stability.

Personally I'd consider the later if you find you lose the chain on rougher terrain its a worth while option - I run a guide and bashguard on my 2x9 setup.

For the most part the Camber is a highly capable trail bike and just because your mate is a "hardcore downhiller" and doesn't like it if it is suiting what you need it for give him the middle finger and leave him waiting at the bottom of the hill for some tractor and trailer to come and pickup his bike and run it up the hill for him while you ride up.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593

I was bottoming out my 105mm Bomber on a regular basis so changed it to a 120mm Reba - still eat up the travel routinely but 120mm is about max for my frame ('06 Rockhopper)

The reason you use all the travel isn't how much or little, it's the spring rate! With a soft enough spring rate you'd blow through any amount of travel...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    dont be a sheep and follow him! i have a 2011 camber comp and more than happy with it i upgraded the bars to syncros carbon and put some dmr v8 on might go for a better peddle and also put some fatter tyres on it with the bars i put some ritchy wsc grips .....i have given the bike a good run for its money only thing i have replace is the bottem bracket and had a wheel true
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I would say if you decide to duel ring, swap the 32 in for a 36 just to extend the range and cut out some of the cross of gears, a middle ring is only around £30 for a pretty good one.
  • SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    theres nothing wrong with the bike i have a camber comp only really need to upgrade the rubber for now the rest will do untill they wear out or break just learn to ride harder and faster and get fitter and also learn to set your forks and rear shock for your style ,weight and the terrain your riding that can make all the diffrence aswell
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    you can cheaply go to 2x9 and add a bashguard to give the bike a bit of AM toughness, maybe even a chain guide for stability.

This is what i meant. I run 1x9 myself.
  • chez_m356
    alexi1207 wrote:
    Hi guys,
    out of interest what bike does this know it all biking mate of your have ?
  • alexi1207
    Haha funnily enough I've never seen it or been out riding with him for the above reasons. Once again your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm going to leave her be for a while and just enjoy the riding. Will look into the 2x9 set up depending on how much I bash it this week.
  • felix.london

The reason you use all the travel isn't how much or little, it's the spring rate! With a soft enough spring rate you'd blow through any amount of travel...

Well obviously but I'm talking about having the bike set up for my weight, riding style and the terrain I'm riding. When I ride a 140-150mm bike I might get through the travel once or twice on a normal ride. On my 200mm DH bike I don't get through it all at all (yet) on my 120mm HT I get through it 4 or 5 times a ride. When it had the 105mm Bomber on it that would be 8-10 times per ride and that was riding with the fork at 10% sag

Trek Session 8
  • chez_m356
    alexi1207 wrote:
    Haha funnily enough I've never seen it or been out riding with him for the above reasons. Once again your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm going to leave her be for a while and just enjoy the riding. Will look into the 2x9 set up depending on how much I bash it this week.
    why do i have visions of a dual crown BSO :lol: thats the best thing you could do, the camber is a nice bike, just get out and enjoy it :D
  • I bought the specialized camber 2011 model 2 years ago ,I've put a specialized dropper seat post on it took the top ring off and put a bash ring on and put wider handle bars on , the forks are more than good enough for trail centres "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I'm has happy today with my bike as I was the day I bought it , don't be sucked in by brands thinking you need fox forks and maxxis tyres and stuff like that, EH_Rob is spot on your mate sounds like a tit.