ITV4 TDF competition

natrix
natrix Posts: 1,111
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Are things so bad for Halfords that all they can offer as a prize is a Carrera Vanquish mountain bike and an equally cheap looking ladies bike?? If they can't afford to offer a decent Boardman bike then surely they'd be better off not offering a bike at all?? :? :?
~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~

Comments

• sicknewt
    sicknewt Posts: 181
    I noticed that too. Not even worth entering!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    Yep, definately gone down hill this year. I think they had various Boardmans last year including a top of the range one. I think the visit to the stage finish part of the prize might be better this year though. Are they giving away both the male and female bikes though this year? Usually only one from memory.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Seems to be a ban on Boardman advertising this year. His bike is all blacked out and there's no mention of boardman bikes in the adverts. They do have his bike hung on the wall in the commentator box though, bit sly that one.
  • natrix
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    . His bike is all blacked out

I think that it was blacked out last year as well.............
  • mapleflot
    mapleflot Posts: 81
    What's weird to me is that Halfords have that `Tour de Francis' campaign on during the coverage with a decently set-up Carrera road bike...and yet the competition has those two towpath pub bikes. Strange.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Very odd.

If you're paying for the advertising space / competition, makes no sense to put some really rubbish looking bikes on. People will think Halfords = rubbish and end up even less likely to go there.
    exercise.png
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Totally agree. The prize looks p'ss poor. Made worse by the fact they keep trailing this competition everyday and you keeping thinking 1,000's will have paid to enter this to win that sh!te. I notice Boardman's not even been riding a Boardman in his cycling clipets. Is it just me - but I've never been able to take Halfords seriously. The service is so poor and you're really lucky if anyone in there knows anything. For a long time our local wouldn't even straigthen a wheel and certainly couldn't build one...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Probably pandering to the "Oh Cycling is popular just now those bikes must be good" brigade - I've thrown better out in the skip :D
  • anonmouse
    anonmouse Posts: 102
    Could be because Boardman bikes will soon no longer be available in Halfords...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Seems strange offering those bikes rather than a road bike as a prize - as with all above, why would you bother to enter?
    They'd have been better off giving away some kids bikes (although all the ones from Halfords weigh more than the kids that would try to ride them!) :D
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I do like boardman bikes. But didnt want ot deal with Halfords. Least some good can come from this :P
  • natrix
    anonmouse wrote:

Where did you hear that?? Are they going to be exclusive to Wiggle, or can your lbs stock them??
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Seems strange offering those bikes rather than a road bike as a prize - as with all above, why would you bother to enter?
    They'd have been better off giving away some kids bikes (although all the ones from Halfords weigh more than the kids that would try to ride them!) :D

This mainly, don't see how the Tour would inspire anyone to ride a mountain bike. Carrera do plenty of cheap road bike options, presenting the winner with two Argos style lumps of overweight sh*t is not inspiring people to ride bikes.
  • Pross
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Totally agree. The prize looks p'ss poor. Made worse by the fact they keep trailing this competition everyday and you keeping thinking 1,000's will have paid to enter this to win that sh!te. I notice Boardman's not even been riding a Boardman in his cycling clipets. Is it just me - but I've never been able to take Halfords seriously. The service is so poor and you're really lucky if anyone in there knows anything. For a long time our local wouldn't even straigthen a wheel and certainly couldn't build one...

To the bit in bold, I think he is but he has had to blank out the name (he did the same last year).

I can understand Halfords no longer giving away a Boardman as they are no longer the sole stockists of them. However, there are some fairly decent Carerras out there - also, the Tour is a road race but they are giving away an MTB and some BSO!
  • Pross
    natrix wrote:
    anonmouse wrote:

Where did you hear that?? Are they going to be exclusive to Wiggle, or can your lbs stock them??

The 'elite' level bikes are already available at a few other stockists.
  • i think it is due to the tour de francis thing - he rides a Carrera. Mixed messages and all that marketing jazz.
  • Pross
    i think it is due to the tour de francis thing - he rides a Carrera. Mixed messages and all that marketing jazz.

So give away a Virago, most people would be happy with one of those - cost to Halfords a few hundred quid, it's barely worth considering the cost against their overall spend on Tour advertising.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    I'm glad it's not just me who thinks the same , why on earth have this competition only to give away completely shite bikes like those ? Anybody who knows anything about bikes will just laugh
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Halfords definitely reverting back to cheap and not very cheerful BSOs which are hardly going to inspire anyone. They did the same with Victoria Pendleton's promotion of BSOs too, truly awful. No way am I going to bother "entering" the prize giveaway.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • As I recall, the prizes usually change every week- so they have 3 competitions in total. If the prize this week is a trip to Paris and 2 bikes, then I suppose it makes sense* to give away 2 cheap bikes. Maybe the next two competitions (assuming they stay true to form) will have better bikes.

*As above though, no idea why these are such inappropriate bikes.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    But one of them is lightweight*, and the other has front suspension*!

I am now oddly intrigued how Immlach pronounces these 'features' for some reason.
  • anonmouse
    anonmouse Posts: 102
    natrix wrote:
    anonmouse wrote:

Should be going lbs route. Its the reason for Mekk bikes, they make the Boardmans and the Mekks are out to help cut the slack when the Boardmans aren't through Halfords anymore.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah the bikes are a joke, clearly someone in Halfords marketing/PR dept is clueless
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    It could be that the level of sales (and brand awareness) of Boardman bikes is now high enough that they don't feel the need to push them. However, maybe Carrera bikes aren't selling particularly well, so they decided to focus their advertising in that direction.
  • to further my point on non boardman bikes, the target market of changed. the tour is no longer just for people on this forum. a whole new generation/section of society will be watching due to BW and MC. Carrera just want to get their brand in view. granted they are "sh!ite" bikes and the PR team should at least give away a decent bike from the range, you cannot fault the idea (just bad execution imo).
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Next week I believe the prize will be some golden cycling shoes, but I've heard they're too tight.

Trip to Paris for the Tour > a top of the range Boardman
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I agree that it should be Boardman's as the prize.

BUT

Carrera's aren't sh!te bikes for the entry level main stream cyclist. Yes noone on here would ride one but for those inspired by the olympics/tour they are a decent starting point
  • Pross
    It's not so much they are crap as a brand as the models they are giving away.
  • I guess it is mainly poor targeting by the Halford's PR team, although how many first time watchers of the Tour highlights will go out and buy a road bike?

Who are they expecting / wanting to attract - those hoping to win a nice weekend away to watch the final stage and with the chance of getting a his 'n' hers bike they can use casually down local canal paths etc, as opposed to a roadie who wants a 4th bike in the garage for use on club runs or for local races?

Looking at their website though, the Vengeance bikes are £350 each
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I see the last couple of days have had Boardman bikes and Rapha tops. So not complete tat.