Durano London plus - utter cr*p

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:
    Not durano's but schwalbe ZX lovely tyres but split on the sidewall after less than 100 miles :cry:

Of course i've just glued it and ignored :roll:

and the other set i've been using on off for commuting in "summer" picked up a visit from the PF this morning :evil: first one in years on the commute, that said even with the offending shard removed it didnt seem to loose air quickly like my conti's do.

Also I noticed the front wheel has multiple 5mm cuts in one wet ride :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    bam49 wrote:
    £20 is a good price for Durano Plus - where do you get them at that price ? :)

they where London Durano plus so as well as london graphics on the sidewall also wire rather than folding so a bit heavier and cheaper than the normal Durano plus.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    bam49 wrote:
    £20 is a good price for Durano Plus - where do you get them at that price ? :)

they where London Durano plus so as well as london graphics on the sidewall also wire rather than folding so a bit heavier and cheaper than the normal Durano plus.

Maybe this is where I went wrong: I got Durano plus London edition, rather then just Durano plus.

personally, I thought it was just a logo thing as opposed to a change in construction - so, Durano plus maybe okay, but Durano plus London editions are pants.

For the record; I did not cycle yesterday (day off for an interview!) - left the bike in the shed with inflated tyre - the tyre has split down the seam completely now and the tube is all the way through. The split looks inside to outside.....I.e. the carcass split, then the blue layer and then the rubber......The split in the carcass is longer than the split in the rubber.

Anyway, f*ck it, bought new Gatorskins.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    It would start to split inside to outside if already weakend by a split, then left inflated, wouldn't it?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    gtvlusso wrote:

A wise move. My totally uninformed guess is they'll roll better too. In my two years of using Gatorskins six days a week I reckon I can count on one hand the number of punctures I've had.
  • gtvlusso
    pangolin wrote:
    It would start to split inside to outside if already weakend by a split, then left inflated, wouldn't it?

Didn't puncture until the tube got exposed, first I knew something was up was with the noise of the split in the rubber gradually increasing as I rolled on a wet road......Saw the split as I looked under, decided to stop and inspect, by which time the tube had been pierced.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    gtvlusso wrote:

A wise move. My totally uninformed guess is they'll roll better too. In my two years of using Gatorskins six days a week I reckon I can count on one hand the number of punctures I've had.
    I thought that about mine. Then had several over a fortnight. You've tempted fate now.
  • gtvlusso
    Just for the record....fiddled with the tyre this lunchtime (Working from home) - Without much effort at all I have manage to split the carcass completely and pull the blue layer from the carcass....

Durano London Plus Edition - Basically like a remould car tyre built using pritt stick to glue the layers together.......
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Weird - so it seems that the problem may stem from this being a special London edition rather than the normal Durano plus.... Did I get that right?
  • pangolin
    Possibly, maybe, yes, no, who knows, definitely, absolutely not.

From 1 tyre going flat because of probably cycling over something when we don't know what that something was... we don't know.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • gtvlusso
    There are known known's.............
  • hoddo80
    hoddo80 Posts: 11
  • "they where London Durano plus so as well as london graphics on the sidewall also wire rather than folding so a bit heavier and cheaper than the normal Durano plus.

Maybe this is where I went wrong: I got Durano plus London edition, rather then just Durano plus.

personally, I thought it was just a logo thing as opposed to a change in construction - so, Durano plus maybe okay, but Durano plus London editions are pants"

I have the same tyre and so far have had no problems. Upon reading yor post I contacted Schwalbe and asked about the construstion of the tyre, they informed me that the only differences are the labels and the bead. Instead of being made from a kevlar material which enables the tyre in question to fold, the London Edition bead is made from a wire core which makes it rigid. There is no other change in construction be it rubber compound, puncture protection etc etc. So a great tyre for the money!!

Mr gtvlusso, It seems to me as though you have just had some very bad luck but as in an earlier post on this thread dont condem a whole brand or range because of one bad experience!
    Send the tyre back to Schwalbe, who in this instance have been more than helpful as I guess you should go back through the proper chain of supply, and see what they say, you may even get a new tyre out of them!?!

Cheer up things are not that bad
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Alternatively, you can email themaskedmarauder@schwalbe.co.uk !! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • gtvlusso
    "they where London Durano plus so as well as london graphics on the sidewall also wire rather than folding so a bit heavier and cheaper than the normal Durano plus.

personally, I thought it was just a logo thing as opposed to a change in construction - so, Durano plus maybe okay, but Durano plus London editions are pants"

I have the same tyre and so far have had no problems. Upon reading yor post I contacted Schwalbe and asked about the construstion of the tyre, they informed me that the only differences are the labels and the bead. Instead of being made from a kevlar material which enables the tyre in question to fold, the London Edition bead is made from a wire core which makes it rigid. There is no other change in construction be it rubber compound, puncture protection etc etc. So a great tyre for the money!!

Mr gtvlusso, It seems to me as though you have just had some very bad luck but as in an earlier post on this thread dont condem a whole brand or range because of one bad experience!
    Send the tyre back to Schwalbe, who in this instance have been more than helpful as I guess you should go back through the proper chain of supply, and see what they say, you may even get a new tyre out of them!?!

Cheer up things are not that bad

I smell a rat here.....or do I smell Wxxxxxxxxxx from Schwalbe customer support? 1 post, newbie prepared to find out so much info?!?! **shifty.....Possibly unethical.....?!

Condeming the brand is very easy to do, particularly as so many people have recommended them - my expectation on the product and the support were incredibly high, based on real life experiences from piers - I am very dissapointed with both product and support. I rarely complain about a product, but the quality and support have been cr*p.

TBH, I paid £35 for the pair from Ribble with free delivery - I got what I paid for......Should have bought Gatorskins for another £5....

The carcass has ripped from the inside though the blue bit when I checked this morning.....but I have left it inflated at 120psi. More to prove to myself that the tyre is defective, i.e. it split....the split has not changed in texture aside being slightly rough on the edges and has opened up more.

Yes, there is more to life and yes, I will continue to condem a poorly performing product - The customer support would have been better without any facitious comment based on the pic I took; just a quick; 'send it back at our expense and we will assess and advise'. However, now that the ill informed customer rep has made a decision, based on a pic, I am reluctant to send it back as; I am sure that they are now entrenched and would look stupid if a replacement was offered. It will waste more of my time and money and I am away on business over the next few weeks.

** While I remember, I had an MTB tyre split last year - the tube came through the side. TBH, I did nothing about this as MTB'ing is leisure as opposed to commuting, something I have to do, but I wonder if I would have been treated with more of an open mind by that manufacturer, had I complained......
  • gtvlusso
    edited July 2012
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Alternatively, you can email themaskedmarauder@schwalbe.co.uk !! ;)

Eeeeps! Very true, I wonder how many Schwalbe company customer support policies are breached by responding to complaints on a web forum.....

From Masked Marauder:

'Cheer up things are not that bad' - I find this comment incredibly patronising.

I know of an individual who did respond to a customer complaint on a webforum in my previous company, he was fired immediately....gross misconduct. I also know of an individual who tried to offer team leadership to his subordinates through Facebook.....he got a final written warning.

customer support via webforum = bad day for customer support.
  • pangolin
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Condeming the brand is very easy to do, particularly as so many people have recommended them - my expectation on the product and the support were incredibly high, based on real life experiences from piers - I am very dissapointed with both product and support. I rarely complain about a product, but the quality and support have been cr*p.

If you were the only person to have ever tried a durano plus, and it was awful, it would be a lot easier to condemn than it is now, with many happy users and only one who has an issue. All the happy recommendations beforehand make it more disappointing that it failed yes, but to say that makes it easier to condemn them is just silly, it's the opposite.
    gtvlusso wrote:
    The carcass has ripped from the inside though the blue bit when I checked this morning.....but I have left it inflated at 120psi. More to prove to myself that the tyre is defective, i.e. it split....the split has not changed in texture aside being slightly rough on the edges and has opened up more.

Again - if you had ridden over something sharp, which later fell out leaving a split, then leaving it inflated will cause it to split more. Not sure you can judge based on the split texture not changing much.
    gtvlusso wrote:
    It will waste more of my time and money and I am away on business over the next few weeks.

Good job we're not wasting time :D
    gtvlusso wrote:
    ** While I remember, I had an MTB tyre split last year - the tube came through the side. TBH, I did nothing about this as MTB'ing is leisure as opposed to commuting, something I have to do, but I wonder if I would have been treated with more of an open mind by that manufacturer, had I complained......

Eh? Are you comparing schwalbe against another manufacturer, based on what the other manufacturer might have done?

Masked marauders behaviour is very odd! If you are from schwalbe, say you are! Especially if it's going to be so obvious. Businesses do sometimes post on forums and it's fine, but only if they admit it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • gtvlusso
    pangolin wrote:
    If you were the only person to have ever tried a durano plus, and it was awful, it would be a lot easier to condemn than it is now, with many happy users and only one who has an issue. All the happy recommendations beforehand make it more disappointing that it failed yes, but to say that makes it easier to condemn them is just silly, it's the opposite.

Aha, so am I banned for complaining?
    pangolin wrote:
    Again - if you had ridden over something sharp, which later fell out leaving a split, then leaving it inflated will cause it to split more. Not sure you can judge based on the split texture not changing much.

This did not happen. Tyre has clearly split from the inside out.....it's bloody obvious now I look at it.
    pangolin wrote:
    Eh? Are you comparing schwalbe against another manufacturer, based on what the other manufacturer might have done?

Why not? They all make tyres, just wonder if customer support differs from each manufacturer. The initial mail I had from Schwalbe was intent on saying; 'puncture, bad luck old boy'. I would have felt it more professional to simply ask for the tyre to be 'returned at their cost, pending an investigation' - this did not happen. I got some b*ll*x about it being a puncture and then; 'well, we'll take a look if you want......but you need to sort that out and it will probably be found to be a puncture.'

Thanks Schwalbe.....so customer focussed...They made thier minds up, and thats it - based on one pic and I have to do the leg work and stump up to prove otherwise...Stuff their product and stuff them. They even sent me a picture of a failed tyre - so, they know that they have had manufacturing issues......

Wherever I see a Schwalbe Durano PLus London Edition advertised and an opportunity to review I shall give an honest account of my experience; Tyre looks nice, rides reasonably well, it split, schwalbe were awful to deal with.

I don't give a crap about a new tyre, whats £20, but I would have preferred to have been treated better.....
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    This is interesting. A friend of mine has just acquired one of these, the London model, for £20 too, let's see how long it lasts him before he punctures. We had a wet 30 miles tonight and no punctures, I will report back if he
    starts complaining
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
    This thread is unbelievable. GTV how long would it have taken you to put the fecking thing in the post to the manufacturer? If you feel strongly, take some high res photos, stick it in the post and at least give the company the chance to screw you over before asserting that they have done.

Alternatively, take it back to the vendor, with a cogent explanation of why it is not a cut caused by debris, demand a refund and let the vendor sort it out (which you know that they won't be bothered to do). Your contract is with the vendor not the manufacturer, anyway, so if oyu want to avail yourself of all of our lovely UK consumer protection law, this is what you would have to do. If they don't give you a refund, you can take them to small claims court, write to both your local MP and Points of View and call trading standards and notify the Bicycle Ombudsman and write a very nasty letter to the manufacturer.

All that has happened at the moment is that you have written to them and told them that a consumable item has broken. You know full well that (a) the overwhealming majority of splits in tyres are caused by objects in the road and not manufacturing defects (b) a commercial organisation cannot just hand out replacements based on the say so of a hairy bloke from Brizzle (c) manufacturing defects happen, get over it.

I wish to register a complaint. I purchased this animal from this very boutique not half an hour ago....
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    It cannot be proved that it wasn't caused by an external object, just because you think it was a manufacturing dfetc and have persuaded yourself that is the truth does not mean that it is
  • gtvlusso
    67d60f66.jpg

left inflated since last week, the tube has ripped through the layers and the rubber, should have taken one with the tube poking out....

How the tyre looked on Sunday when i changed them. Will send it back when I get 5 mins - Away the next few weeks.

Would hate to see someone have an accident if they suffer a split like this, whilst tooling it downhill - if you have Durano Plus Londons, check them!!
  • gtvlusso
    This thread is unbelievable. GTV how long would it have taken you to put the fecking thing in the post to the manufacturer? If you feel strongly, take some high res photos, stick it in the post and at least give the company the chance to screw you over before asserting that they have done.

Alternatively, take it back to the vendor, with a cogent explanation of why it is not a cut caused by debris, demand a refund and let the vendor sort it out (which you know that they won't be bothered to do). Your contract is with the vendor not the manufacturer, anyway, so if oyu want to avail yourself of all of our lovely UK consumer protection law, this is what you would have to do. If they don't give you a refund, you can take them to small claims court, write to both your local MP and Points of View and call trading standards and notify the Bicycle Ombudsman and write a very nasty letter to the manufacturer.

All that has happened at the moment is that you have written to them and told them that a consumable item has broken. You know full well that (a) the overwhelming majority of splits in tyres are caused by objects in the road and not manufacturing defects (b) a commercial organisation cannot just hand out replacements based on the say so of a hairy bloke from Brizzle (c) manufacturing defects happen, get over it.

I wish to register a complaint. I purchased this animal from this very boutique not half an hour ago....

So, I guess I am disappointed because the tyres are so highly recommended and Schwalbes support was supposed to be excellent. The tyres are not that great and Schwalbes support is not that great either. But as above, the issue I have had may be a one off, but I would hate to see someone have an accident because a Durano Plus London tyre split....so, at least it is raised in the consciousness of the people on here to check their own tyres. In terms of returning the tyre, I am away on business for a few weeks and will probably forget to do it or it will slip to the bottom of the list and never get done.

I do not want another tyre from Schwalbe.....no thanks.
  • pangolin
    gtvlusso wrote:
    left inflated since last week, the tube has ripped through the layers and the rubber, should have taken one with the tube poking out....

Would hate to see someone have an accident if they suffer a split like this, whilst tooling it downhill - if you have Durano Plus Londons, check them!!

How would someone get "suffer a split like this" while going downhill? Even this poorly constructed(?), already damaged tyre took a whole week to get like that when it was left under pressure.

That's a long downhill. Brakes and rims would probably be the first to go. I'll check my tyres next time I'm coming down K2 though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • gtvlusso
    pangolin wrote:
    How would someone get "suffer a split like this" while going downhill? Even this poorly constructed(?), already damaged tyre took a whole week to get like that when it was left under pressure.

That's a long downhill. Brakes and rims would probably be the first to go. I'll check my tyres next time I'm coming down K2 though.

Another tyre may just completely split in one go, some people may already have a damaged tyre....the result could be quite nasty, we just don't know what has occurred, I was lucky that I heard the split before it punctured. So, remove all doubt and check your Durano London Plus tyres for splits or tears.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    gtvlusso wrote:
    67d60f66.jpg

How the tyre looked on Sunday when i changed them. Will send it back when I get 5 mins - Away the next few weeks.

I'm not judging either way, but is that not a result of you doing this?
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Just for the record....fiddled with the tyre this lunchtime (Working from home) - Without much effort at all I have manage to split the carcass completely and pull the blue layer from the carcass....

ETA: Which isn't going to help your cause if you do send it to Schwalbe for investigation.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    If you inflate a tyre with a gash in it and put it under pressure, the gash will get bigger no matter what as you are putting more pressure on the failure. Not sure what the point in keeping it inflated is??

I would have thought the logical thing to do would be to preserve the damage as close to how it happened so the people at schwalbe can see if it is a manufacturing failure/bad quality control.
  • gtvlusso
    kelsen wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    67d60f66.jpg

I'm not judging either way, but is that not a result of you doing this?
    gtvlusso wrote:

ETA: Which isn't going to help your cause if you do send it to Schwalbe for investigation.

Yes. partially, I was able to split it further with my fingers. I think it shows that it was very weak and prone to splitting. With a reasonable pull, I think I could pull the tyre apart completely. Almost like the glue between the carcass and the blue layer has not set. It was very easy to tease apart. The carcass has split more due to the pressure of the tube, which I find a little surprising.....but I am pretty sure that I should not be able to pull the blue layer off the tyre.

No, it is not going to help me in all fairness, but Schwalbe may find that the tyre is weaker than it should be. Possibly a manufacturing defect or a circumstance that exposes a weakness in the tyre - dunno.....

But I am not after a new tyre from Schwalbe. However, I would rather they coined up for the postage if they want it back, as said it will be a few weeks before I sort it out.

**I have no reason to wreck my own tyre!! I am not that insane!!
  • Will Nunez
    Will Nunez Posts: 203
    Durano london plus 23x700 front and back both at 4300 tracked commute miles and still going, no punctures, just to offer some balance. Only criticism is they are heavy, but will defo be buying new set for winter, and something else for summer when it starts

have used Contis and Schwalbe of various.

Have had gator skins go at 90 miles least i have got out of a schwalbe (laguna) is 430. Swings and roundabouts IMO
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07