Garmin Elevation Issues

antlaff
antlaff Posts: 583
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi

can any Garmin Connect users advise why the baseline on the elevation graph baseline doesnt set at 0m? I have tried to reset all setting and changed units of measure etc but with no joy.

7493063822_8fa076c6d3.jpg
untitled by Antlaff, on Flickr

Comments

• Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    I assume its because you didn't start the ride at sea level?

and if you did you may need to occasionally recalibrate your elevation when at sea level to account for atmospheric pressure variations.

Surely it doesn't matter as long as you get the right ascent and descent amounts?
  • antlaff

Surely it doesn't matter as long as you get the right ascent and descent amounts?

agree but it looks pretty crap
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    antlaff wrote:

agree but it looks pretty crap
    What does ? Looks like a typical elevation chart to me.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    I assume the OP is referring to the fact that the graph scale starts at -200m, rather than something more relevant to the ride, and not the fact that the ride itself starts at something other than 0m.

Doubt if there's anyway to fix it other than a bug report to Garmin.
  • antlaff
    pdw wrote:
    I assume the OP is referring to the fact that the graph scale starts at -200m, rather than something more relevant to the ride, and not the fact that the ride itself starts at something other than 0m.

Doubt if there's anyway to fix it other than a bug report to Garmin.

Yes that's point I was trying to make although not too clearly. Have looked Garmin support forums and seems to be an issue that Garmin are in no hurry to fix.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Just had a look on connect. My charts start at zero even if the ride never gets below 650 feet. So don't have the negative altitude problem (at least on the ones I looked at) but it doesn't automatically adjust the Y axis to the lowest point of the ride so you do end up with a lot of green.
    I'm thinking there must be a reason why it is displaying down to -200. I'm wondering if it is sometimes recording the elevation incorrectly (below sea level) but the elevation correction is putting it back right. Try switching elevation correction off and see what the chart looks like.
  • I find doing a soft reset, and turning it on and leaving it outside with a good signal for 20 minutes or so it will return to normal. What normally causes this on my 705 is turning it on, or leaving it on indoors without a decent if any signal.