new pedals

fill_uk
fill_uk Posts: 52
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
Hi,

Can anyone recommend some flat pedals for communting that wont break the bank? The cheapo feeling ones that came with my bike cracked last week so i swapped them for the other pair that came with it which have toe clips and straps, i cant get used to them and dont feel all that safe riding with them.

Where the straps feed under the pedal they slip under two metal prongs which are meant to (but dont) hold the straps in place so when i push my foot in im pushing the strap off the pedal on one side leaving it hanging down and trailing on the rode when that foot is at its lowest point. Im now at the stage where i've taken the straps off and im riding with just my feet under the clips which isnt really working as the clips are plastic and flex about all over the place and dont seem to do much of a job of keeping my foot in place.

Im looking at flat rather than clipped in becuase i use the same bike at weekend with a child seat to take my kids on bike rides so id rather be able to get my foot down on the ground quick if needed.

The bike is a GT transeo 3.0 hybrid if that makes a difference to suggestions.
Thanks

Comments

• night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    I prefer SPD's but if you really want flat pedals then these are hard to beat at the price

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=563
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    It is porbably true that Wellgo manufactures pedals for others, but my experience has been that the bearings they choose for their own branded products are rubbish.
  • fill_uk
    Thanks guys, i like the look of DMR pedals i cant help wondering if the copies arent going to be as good though. Also cant work out how much better the v12 is over the cheaper v8.

I have however also seen these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/m324-spd-pedals-ec005285#answers the claim to be spd on one side and flat on the other. Meaning i could go clipped in on the commute and not when carrying a child. As i would like to go clipped in, its only the weekend rides that would stop me. Anyone got any experience of these pedals?
  • I've got the similar A540 pedals, they work fine - the only downside is that sods law dictates that the wrong side is at the top if I'm wearing cleats or not. It can make the first few commutes interesting but you seen become adept at flicking them over to which ever side you need.
  • fill_uk
    Ok, i'm having to do that now with the pedals im using, to get the toe clips the right way up so that should be ok.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get some Gusset Slim Jims or any other of the same patten. the versions with the cartridge bearings not the loose ball ones.

much better shape than the DMR things.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown