Bacon....mmmmmmm

70\ʹspenguin
70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
edited October 2012 in The hub
I dont have a proper job..................So i make bacon. Dry cured free-range Gloucester Old Spot. Then i flog it at the Farmer's Market for the people who let me use their farm butchery to play in :)

Crap phone pics, but hope you enjoy.

Just about to rub the cure into the loin. My own pink peppercorn recipie
0da8aaccc06111e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

Traditional Dry Cure Best. The old spot is a fatty pig and perfect for bacon. Sweet thick fat that perfectly compliments the salty flesh.
05637bfcc47c11e1ba8122000a1d0135_7.jpg

From left to right: Pancetta, Black Bacon, Normal streaky
3fc50d8ac1ff11e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

Black Treacle Streaky
9ec8e36ec06111e1a8761231381b4856_7.jpg

Pancetta
7effdabec47c11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

This little piggy wish she had stayed at home. Actually she was a 200kilo sow and ENORMOUS!
b7ddd068c20411e192e91231381b3d7a_7.jpg

Im hoping to get a smoker soon so i can smoke my own. :twisted:

Matthew

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Then i flog it at the Farmer's Market

which one?
  • Yea, and if not local to me do you do mail order? And have you got a smoker yet?

Ideally, you're about 25 miles away from me along quiet country roads without too many hills. A man can dream, right?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I dont have a proper job..................So i make bacon. Dry cured free-range Gloucester Old Spot. Then i flog it at the Farmer's Market for the people who let me use their farm butchery to play in :)

Crap phone pics, but hope you enjoy.

Just about to rub the cure into the loin. My own pink peppercorn recipie
    0da8aaccc06111e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

Traditional Dry Cure Best. The old spot is a fatty pig and perfect for bacon. Sweet thick fat that perfectly compliments the salty flesh.
    05637bfcc47c11e1ba8122000a1d0135_7.jpg

From left to right: Pancetta, Black Bacon, Normal streaky
    3fc50d8ac1ff11e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

Black Treacle Streaky
    9ec8e36ec06111e1a8761231381b4856_7.jpg

Pancetta
    7effdabec47c11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

This little piggy wish she had stayed at home. Actually she was a 200kilo sow and ENORMOUS!
    b7ddd068c20411e192e91231381b3d7a_7.jpg

Im hoping to get a smoker soon so i can smoke my own. :twisted:

Matthew
    God.

On a side note I poped into a butchers on a saturday while back in the UK to ask about a few KG of Old Spot sausages for collection on the monday to take back here and he said fine we make fresh on the monday and are open from 8:00am. Pop in at 10:00 and he had not even started. 4KG of sausage and about 1kg of black puding he did not sell. I i will have to wait till Xmas at this rate before I can get any.

and German black pudding is not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    Then i flog it at the Farmer's Market

which one?

Yeah - do tell. That looks most excellent.

Please say you do mail order.....
  • No mail order im afraid. Brigg Farmers Market in north Lincolnshire.

Had a wee taste of the pancetta earlier and its lovely! Sweet and peppery.

Carbonara for dinner tonight to give it a good checking out.
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    No mail order im afraid. Brigg Farmers Market in north Lincolnshire.

Had a wee taste of the pancetta earlier and its lovely! Sweet and peppery.

Carbonara for dinner tonight to give it a good checking out.

Damn. Can't you start doing mail order? That old spot bacon looks great.
  • If you're *ever* going to be in London I could make the trip worth your while.

And do you do any smoked products?
  • No smoke yet, but im awaiting news on a small cold smoker. Cant wait.
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    I dont have a proper job..................So i make bacon.

WRONG! making bacon is THE proper job, everything else is just meaningless :D There is a small farmers market/shop near where i work and it is awesomes :shock: Good work fella.
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    nom nom nom :) making me hungry too.
  • Good ol protein for yer muscles!
  • Grantham markets not too far for you to do a stall!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • It sir are a ledge!!!!!

Mmmm bacon
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Penylope wrote:
    I dont have a proper job..................So i make bacon.

WRONG! making bacon is THE proper job, everything else is just meaningless :D
    *drools* we salute you sir and your most excellent non job
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • hungry
    very hungry
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Yum,

You HAVE to start doing mail order!

I had acquaintances in Brigg, via an ex, shame I never kept in touch, they could have sent it down to me!

Nice, very nice - that black stuff looks awesome.
  • Black Treacle Bacon!!!! ooooh that sounds tasty!!!!! well actually, its Bacon, Its going to be tasty!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Damn. Wrong end of Lincolnshire for me to get to easily for a treat. But I might try curing some myself! We don't have enough bacon in the house as it's a bit of a luxury (saving very hard for a house) - but if it's cheaper to do myself... I gets bacon again!!
  • Always fancied riding the full length of the Viking way you might have given me a reason? Who's up for a 147 mile bacon shopping trip?!?!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Black treacle bacon is gorgeous - kids love it! In its simplest form you basically add treacle to the cure and leave it. Older, more complex varieties require a mix of molasses, treacles and spice like pepper and juniper.

Im currently trying to perfect Marmalade bacon. It goes amazingly well but its a bugger to get the bitter orangey flavours out! Next time you make a bacon sarnie spread some marmalade on the bread and try it - om nom nom.

I made some chocolate coated bacon the other week too and that was lush! Simply put some streaky in the oven and cook till crisp but not burned. Let it cool on paper to drain all the fat. Melt some good chocolate (60-70% cocoa) and dip in the rashers. Allow to cool and then munch! The kids will think its amazing (if there is any left for them)

Also working on a smoked chilli bacon too.

Making it at home is incredibly simple. Places like www.sausagemaking.org will give you everything you need to start. You just need enough fridge space, an understanding partner and a little love and patience.

:)
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    This is Wrong
    I made some chocolate coated bacon the other week too and that was lush! Simply put some streaky in the oven and cook till crisp but not burned. Let it cool on paper to drain all the fat. Melt some good chocolate (60-70% cocoa) and dip in the rashers. Allow to cool and then munch! The kids will think its amazing (if there is any left for them)
    Also working on a smoked chilli bacon too.
    This is right
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty