Clothes

PimpMyBike
PimpMyBike Posts: 50
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Im in the market for some budget cycling clothes , as I can't stand wearing my normal clothes when I ride .

I can spend up to around £70 and I don't know what I really need . I'm not a very slim person so I would prefer slightly less non-figure hugging clothes .

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated .Thank you

Comments

• Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    If you don't want lycra shorts/tights then you can always get a pair of baggy shorts or 3/4 lengths with padded inserts.
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    I have bought stuff from Prendas and their service is great and the goods are of a very nice quality too. I am generously upholstered myself and I would highly recommend bib shorts; they are most comfortable because there is no elastic around the waist to dig in on longer rides.
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • PimpMyBike
    PimpMyBike Posts: 50
    Well , I've decided to get some bib shorts now , but after a very quick chat with my parents , they really don't want me spending £35 on shorts when some normal £15 everyday sports shorts will do the job just fine .

So I sort of need help convincing them ..
  • ducyam
    ducyam Posts: 4
    Hey parents - please let pimpmybike have some proper bib shorts, normal shorts just aren't up to the job. Padded bib shorts make life much better down below. You know it makes sense. Pleeeeaaaase

Any good pimpmyride???
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    what are the options for the colder weather ???

dont think i could get away with a pair of them shorts till i loose a little of my spe sortare tyre..

currently have a pair of MTB shorts and like them but they are no good for a road bike look,,,

fancy a pair of long pants of some sort
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Just add legwarmers.
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    Get the best bib shorts you can afford. dhb (from Wiggle) are excellent value. Get a pair with a decent pad in them.

Don't get regular waisted shorts.

If you have a pair of bib shorts, you'll be much more comfortable for longer, which will help you lose more weight. You can just wear a regular t-shirt with them to start - but the bibs are a must as it's your arse that touches the bike the most.

Next on the list would be clipless pedals and a pair of cycling shoes, then a cycling jersey and gloves. but bib shorts are probably the most important.

And you won't look as bad in them as you think!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Also point out that all the pro's wear padded shorts so if 'normal' shorts did the job perfectly why would they bother?

A comfortable rider is a safer rider ;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    One thing to be careful of when ordering from Prendas is the sizing. Most of their clothing is in Italian sizes which tend to be a lot smaller than UK sizes. I.e an XL in a UK may well be a XXXL in Italian sizing. If in doubt contact Prendas, they are very helpful.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Ask your parents if they want grand children and stress the problems caused by not wearing padded shorts.
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    I've not been cycling for long, but for the first 2 weeks, I was having really bad bum & berries problems! Couldn't ride for longer than 40 mins without getting off for a rest!
    Best thing I did was get some padded shorts - I got mine from Aldi, really cheap £7.99, and they have made riding so much better - I can concentrate on riding & my environment, rather than my twig & berries! And if I'm concentrating on the road, less likely to have a mishap!

Good luck my friend!
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    I would agree with the other posters, the no1 thing you need is some padded shorts. Before i got my road bike i used to wear padded under shorts under a pair of ordinary baggy shorts. Not ideal; for a road bike but it would get you by for a bit.
    The gear from Aldi and Lidl is pretty good for the price, especially the Jerseys. I did get a cheap pair of padded shorts from Lidl, and they are ok for upto a couple of hours, but i found they rubbed a bit for longer rides.
    So i bought myself some Endura Xtract Bib shorts (£40) which i found to be far more comfortable, even on my first 50 mile ride last week, 3 1/2 hours in the saddle.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB