Brake Pads.. Sintered/Kevlar

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Was wondering what peoples thoughts are on the difference between sintered/kevlar pads?

Need to buy a bulk from Superstar and considering their Kevlar.
I've always used sintered, but hear that kevlar offer more consistent power without wearing as quick as organic.

Will the Kevlar last longer than a single uplift day like a sintered will, or would I be looking and buying new again soon after?

Just not sure on the kevlar longevity.

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Tried them once and to be honest the only difference I could feel between Kevlar and Resin was that they were red rather than black and cost £4 more. They lasted 2 damp days in the Lakes 1 day at Whinlatter the other at Grizedale hate to think what would have happened in really wet weather.

Sintered all the time for me unless its been bone dry for at least a week.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I just gave Kevlar go, you can always go back. Seem quieter and a little more bite. In 4s they are only a couple of quid more.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Personally, I can tell quite a large difference between Kevlar and Sintered pads, but my brakes are absolute shite, so every little bit helps :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I hear that kevlar don't last too long. I think after getting through 5 sets of organic pads in the alps recently, it's gonna be sintered all the way on my downhill rig!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Hm... not exactly the response I was expecting! Glad I asked lol.

Sod it then, I'll buy 1 set of sintered as a spare, already got 1 set in the toolbox but was going to get 3 kevlar to try em.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They last longer than resin, not as long as sintered but IMO are much better at stopping than sintered.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yep, exactly- bits of both worlds. If you need a hard pad- ie, you ride in gritty mud- then kevlar'll still vanish fast but they last well under most conditions. They seem better with heat than sintered though, and have a bit more subtlety in the delivery. My pad of choice, these. They can be a bit more squealey though.

Also they are red, and red wunz go fasta.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Which as someone pointed out recently, is not so good for something you want to make you go slower.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    9I8I
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ilovedirt wrote:
    it's gonna be sintered all the way on my downhill rig!
    Careful with that. Sintered generate heat faster, so on long alpine DH runs, you can actually damage your brakes due to overheating.

cooldad wrote:
    Which as someone pointed out recently, is not so good for something you want to make you go slower.
    Hmm, I wonder who that was?
  • cooldad
    Sorry, I should have been more specific.
    Which as something pointed out recently, is not so good for something you want to make you go slower.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    At least I gave some credit and did not try and steal your intellectual (haha) property.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools